Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/24 19:25:17 UTC

workspaces

Hi all,

I am new to Jackrabbit, and while I understand the concept of repositories
I am a bit confused wrt workspaces.

Why would I want multiple workspaces in a repository? Is it a persistence
issue, an indexing issue? Or what?

Please help me understand.

Regards,

Pierre

Re: workspaces

Posted by Stephen Byrne <st...@lincware.com>.
On 04/24/2012 01:27 PM, Mark Herman wrote:
> See rule #3 of David's model [1]

http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel#Rule_.233:_Workspaces_are_for_clone.28.29.2C_merge.28.29_and_update.28.29

David's model says:
 > Use workspaces for things like:
 >
 >     v1.2 of your project vs. a v1.3 of your project
 >     a "development", "qa" and a "published" state of content
 >
 > Do not use workspaces for things like:
 >
 >     user home directories
 >     distinct content for different target audiences like public,
 >       private, local, ...
 >     mail-inboxes for different users

The "Do not use workspaces for" list seems to reiterate his earlier
point that workspaces should not be used for access control.

But what about for two different projects with no corresponding nodes
and no references between them? I do not want them in the same workspace
for simplicity as far as queries go. Should I add the overhead and
complexity of a separate repository?

--
Stephen Byrne
stephen@lincware.com