Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Daniele De Francesco <dd...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/01 00:01:12 UTC

Re: convincing Workplace to use Maven

Ok, then....
that of convincing colleagues, chiefs etc. to switch to maven  seems a
recurring  challenge developers have to face here in Italy.
I use  maven since 2004 (or was 2003, anyway...) , I think that maven is a
great step ahead in code building, integrating,testing, in developing a
project life cycle that fulfills anybody needs...
but from the other side we always find someone not available to see this
great potential; not that they don't have some good reasons, since switching
a (long lived) project to maven it's not easy nor recommendable or fast, in
some realities.
I would convince colleagues by simply saying they won't face dependency
trouble anymore...and that the stack: Maven + Eclipse + CVS (or Subversion)
is an INDUSTRY standard nowadays. Would they use Idea or Netbeans or
whatever? No problem. Maven is much better from the command line (even if
Maven integrations still exist), and doesn't care what is the IDE used.
Sure the need to spend a little time and effort to understand maven basics,
but this effort will pay back...
If it isn't enough, let me know...
greetings