Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Dmitry Minkovsky <dm...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/23 19:26:32 UTC

Kafka Streams: "subscribed topics are not assigned to any members in the group"

Certain elements of my streams app stopped working and I noticed that my
logs contain:

[2017-05-23 15:23:09,274] WARN
(org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.internals.ConsumerCoordinator:361) The
following subscribed topics are not assigned to any members in the group
user-service : [user-service-KSTREAM-KEY-SELECT-0000000038-repartition,
user-service-KSTREAM-KEY-SELECT-0000000130-repartition, users,
user-service-logins-by-user-repartition]

These are precisely the affected topics. Does anyone know what this log is
related to, and why this might have happened?

I am working on isolating the problem, but if anyone has seen this before,
some help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Kafka Streams: "subscribed topics are not assigned to any members in the group"

Posted by Dmitry Minkovsky <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,

Thank you for responding. Sorry I forgot to respond.

The issue occurred as the result of a typo in the name of a stream that was
an input topic in the task that broke. I had
topology.stream("confirm-settings-request") instead of
topology.stream("confirm-settings-requests"). This typo caused this log:

> [2017-06-01 11:39:40,567] INFO
(org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.DefaultPartitionGrouper:86) Skipping
assigning topic confirm-settings-request to tasks since its metadata is not
available yet

Which I didn't notice before posting my original question. Not sure why I
didn't see it. But also not sure why this typo didn't cause a more dramatic
failure, because I thought that was of 0.10.2.0 all input topics had to
exist before the stream application was started. Indeed, after upgrading to
0.10.2.0 I learned this when topic auto create stopped working and my
streams application would throw exceptions when input topics did not exist.
But for some reason that did not happen here (I'm on 0.10.2.1 now).

Thank you,
Dmitry

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
Hi Dimity,