Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Denis McCarthy <dm...@annadaletech.com> on 2006/08/31 10:55:42 UTC

Quick availability of maven module to dependent modules in same project

Hi,
I've recently moved from ant to maven2, and all in all I'm really happy
with the move. However, one of the main reasons I decided to move was
maven's superior dependency handling.

My project consists of two web apps with a corresponding
business/dataaccess module that both webapps rely on. Each of the three
apps in question are set up as maven modules, with the two web apps
declaring a dependency on the business module in their respective poms.
I'm using eclipse WTP with maven plugin as the development environment.

This works fine, but with one caveat: it's too slow to deploy new
versions of the business module to rapidly test changes with the
webapps. Currently, when any change is made to the business module our
developers have to run a mvn install on the business module. This runs
all the tests (some of which are quite slow because they are testing the
database). This takes about 3 minutes, which in the context of doing
many such deployments each day is too long. I'd like to set up my
project so that any changes to the business layer are visible to the
webapps as quickly as possible (even not having to run the tests as part
of mvn install would be a big boost)

Does anyone know how I can make changes to a maven module visible to
dependent modules rapidly, without running all the unit tests each time?
I'd consider writing my own plugin if necessary, but I'm sure there is
some existing functionality to allow me to do this.

TIA
Denis