Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2004/10/19 15:26:22 UTC

Mentor and Project Guide (WAS: RE: [OT] How to prevent...)

Sounds good.  Couple of questions and thoughts:

How big were you thinking of making this?  Your outline suggests several
pages at least.  Or were you thinking of just one page?

I suppose this is going to be authored in Forrest or perhaps Docbook.

I had been thinking of putting together additional documents for those
interested in going through the incubator [1].  We regularly get questions
like: "I'm the lead for project ABC which would be a great addition to
Apache.  How do we join?"  Some points of your outline touched on this,
but I may still be interested in writing a very simple, user friendly
guide to contributing to the ASF.  I'm never satisfied with current
documentation. :)

On a final note, I don't believe I have any SVN commit rights to anything
in the incubator.  I can work up some Forrest or Docbook XML stubs based
on the outline and if everyone like them, then perhaps I can get access to
putting them somewhere.  Or I could start in the wiki, but in that case,
I'd start on content rather than the XML structure.

jaaron

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=109181155826131&w=2

Re: Mentor and Project Guide (WAS: RE: [OT] How to prevent...)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ted Husted wrote:
>
>>Jaaron,
>>
>>Either place is fine with me. Though, now that you mention it,
>>the wiki might be a more collaborative place to start.
>
> I presume that these new documents are going to
> be at the Incubator website under control of SVN.
> When i hear people say "start at the wiki" i get
> worried that the docs stay there and we get a mess
> of duplication.

Then, I say it again :-) , let's use html and give subversion access
without too much worry to Apache committers. In this way they can add
docs without even having to generate the site and others can browser the
  docs in process via viewcvs.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Mentor and Project Guide (WAS: RE: [OT] How to prevent...)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ted Husted wrote:
> Jaaron,
>
> Either place is fine with me. Though, now that you mention it,
> the wiki might be a more collaborative place to start.

I presume that these new documents are going to
be at the Incubator website under control of SVN.
When i hear people say "start at the wiki" i get
worried that the docs stay there and we get a mess
of duplication.

> Here's another old link with some material we could incorporate:
>
> * http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guides.html
>
> Though it now overlaps with material available elsewhere.

This is the big worry - there is so much overlapping
and often conflicting material scattered over many websites.

--
David Crossley

Re: Mentor and Project Guide (WAS: RE: [OT] How to prevent...)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Jaaron,

Either place is fine with me. Though, now that you mention it, the wiki might be a more collaborative place to start.

Here's another old link with some material we could incorporate:

* http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guides.html

Though it now overlaps with material available elsewhere.

-Ted.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:26:22 -0400 (EDT), J Aaron Farr wrote:
> How big were you thinking of making this?  Your outline suggests
> several pages at least.  Or were you thinking of just one page?

It should be as short as we make make it, but no shorter :)

> I had been thinking of putting together additional documents for
> those interested in going through the incubator [1].  We regularly
> get questions like: "I'm the lead for project ABC which would be a
> great addition to Apache.  How do we join?"  Some points of your
> outline touched on this, but I may still be interested in writing a
> very simple, user friendly guide to contributing to the ASF.  I'm
> never satisfied with current documentation. :)

Jakarta has some useful guidelines for the "do we qualify" question

* http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html

which people have used as the background for the emerging standard Incubator proposal format.

> On a final note, I don't believe I have any SVN commit rights to
> anything in the incubator.  I can work up some Forrest or Docbook
> XML stubs based on the outline and if everyone like them, then
> perhaps I can get access to putting them somewhere.  Or I could
> start in the wiki, but in that case, I'd start on content rather
> than the XML structure.

The wiki sounds like a fine place to get started.

-Ted.