Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by "David Smiley @MITRE.org" <DS...@mitre.org> on 2009/02/24 06:00:18 UTC

Improvement Request: exception setting field exception

This is a super-easy request for a Solr commiter to do.  Look at line 187 of
FieldType.  It catches NumberFormatException (a subtype of RuntimeException)
when calling toInternal() in order to throw a SolrException that has useful
information -- namely the field attempting to be set and its value.  The
caught exception should be declared to be very broudly at RuntimeException
since problems other than NumberFormatException might occur.  An example is
SolrException thrown by DateField when parsing fails.

I was about to create a JIRA issue for this but thought it might be more
light-weight to ask on this list.  If a commiter would rather I submit to
JIRA any way then let me know.

~ David Smiley

Re: Improvement Request: exception setting field exception

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
Even if it is a lightweight task (unless it is a comment that is to be
changed) it is wise to open a JIRA issue.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:30 AM, David Smiley @MITRE.org
<DS...@mitre.org> wrote:

> This is a super-easy request for a Solr commiter to do.  Look at line 187 of
> FieldType.  It catches NumberFormatException (a subtype of RuntimeException)
> when calling toInternal() in order to throw a SolrException that has useful
> information -- namely the field attempting to be set and its value.  The
> caught exception should be declared to be very broudly at RuntimeException
> since problems other than NumberFormatException might occur.  An example is
> SolrException thrown by DateField when parsing fails.
>
> I was about to create a JIRA issue for this but thought it might be more
> light-weight to ask on this list.  If a commiter would rather I submit to
> JIRA any way then let me know.
>
> ~ David Smiley

--Noble Paul