Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org> on 2007/07/16 18:44:10 UTC

Next few releases (was Re: [VOTE] Pluto 1.1.4 Release)

CDoremus@hannaford.com wrote:

> I am very much against moving toward a 1.2.0 release. We should not get
> mired in a 1.2.x release cycle of a JSR-168 impl. We need to start
> moving toward jsr-286. The jsr-286 EG will be releasing a public draft
> soon that is feature complete. Torsten's work in the 286 branch has
> almost caught up with the draft spec. Both Exo and JBoss portal has
> preliminary (alpha/beta) jsr-286 releases. We should not be that far
> behind.

There's no reason why we can't do both.  OS is about scratching your own
itch.  If someone wants to work on 1.2.x, then go for it.  If you want
to focus on 2.x, then by all means - do it!  Shoot, if someone wanted to
dig up 1.0.x they are welcome to do that as well.

David

Re: Next few releases (was Re: [VOTE] Pluto 1.1.4 Release)

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
Sorry when I say "286 being released" I mean the approval of the JSR.

How does the timeframe for the approval of the 286 JSR drive the Pluto
release schedule?

Elliot

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Elliot Metsger wrote:
oremus@hannaford.com wrote:

>>> I am very much against moving toward a 1.2.0 release. We should not
>>> get mired in a 1.2.x release cycle of a JSR-168 impl. We need to
>>> start moving toward jsr-286. The jsr-286 EG will be releasing a
>>> public draft soon that is feature complete. Torsten's work in the 286
>>> branch has almost caught up with the draft spec. Both Exo and JBoss
>>> portal has preliminary (alpha/beta) jsr-286 releases. We should not
>>> be that far behind.
>
> When, assuming this is a goal, is a good time for 286 to get promoted to
> trunk?  And if so, what is the best way to go about doing this?
> Backporting 286 patches from the branch back to trunk?

Whether in the trunk or not, I think adding Java5 Support (and generics)
to the 168 container is a good baby step towards 286.  We had also
talked about adding jaxb bindings, etc. . .in 1.2.x.  I'm very
interested in keeping this going, but am fine with it taking place in a
branch if that's the communities preference.  My preference would be for

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.

David H. DeWolf wrote:

> CDoremus@hannaford.com wrote:

>> I am very much against moving toward a 1.2.0 release. We should not
>> get mired in a 1.2.x release cycle of a JSR-168 impl. We need to start
>> moving toward jsr-286. The jsr-286 EG will be releasing a public draft
>> soon that is feature complete. Torsten's work in the 286 branch has
>> almost caught up with the draft spec. Both Exo and JBoss portal has
>> preliminary (alpha/beta) jsr-286 releases. We should not be that far
>> behind.

When, assuming this is a goal, is a good time for 286 to get promoted to
trunk?  And if so, what is the best way to go about doing this?
Backporting 286 patches from the branch back to trunk?

> There's no reason why we can't do both.  OS is about scratching your own
> itch.  If someone wants to work on 1.2.x, then go for it.  If you want
> to focus on 2.x, then by all means - do it!  Shoot, if someone wanted to
> dig up 1.0.x they are welcome to do that as well.

Sure, but it helps to have the community in agreement if not to marshal
resources at least to have their good will.  In some cases community
coordination is essential to success.  The reality is having the itch
isn't always enough.

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
Craig

sorry i'm super sporadic today, and i don't mean to start all these
threads all having to do with the same issue.  This is probaby the best
thread to discuss this stuff.

What about just beginning to promote 286 code to the trunk, and doing
away with the 286 branch?  We'd do it by applying diffs of the 286
branch to trunk.

Since we've never done a 1.2 release, we can re-branch for that later if
we want.  Since svn is so cool :)

Elliot

Posted by Benjamin Gould <be...@netsos.com>.
Craig,

I've been anticipating working with an alpha or beta of a branch that
is working towards 286 compatibility, but I am just wondering about the
status of the current 286-COMPATIBILITY branch.  I have been holding off
on developing my portal until there is at least a somewhat stable
version.  If this is the case with the current 286 branch, I'll start
working with it and report or help fix any issues that I come across.
Do you think that the current branch is at least good enough to get
started with, or should I wait until some of the recent updates from
trunk get applied?

Thanks,

Ben

Posted by Benjamin Gould <be...@netsos.com>.
Craig,

I'm very willing to start working with an alpha or beta of a branch that

Posted by CD...@hannaford.com.