Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/03/04 19:57:20 UTC

Re: Apache Documentation Volunteers

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM, James Pitt <fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My name is James Pitt, and I'm a true believer in the open source ideal of
> software for the masses. I'm also an experienced, credentialed
> entertainment professional and would love to lend my abilities to this
> work. While I'm primarily a film actor, I am also a writer. Every
> professional actor knows that writing is a huge part of character
> development, and research. While these days most of my writing is creative-
> I would say that my strongest style is a colloquial, comfortable sort of
> conversation with the reader- I have a long history of business writing as
> well. I switch between formal and informal modes quite easily.

Hi James, thanks for writing.

Earlier today I forwarded you some more information about our
documentation effort.  But I also wanted to mention that we looking
for volunteers in other project areas as well.

For example on another mailing list (cc'ed,
marketing@openoffice.apache.org) we have a group of volunteers working
on ways of promoting awareness of OpenOffice.   Although everyone who
knows about open source knows about OpenOffice, you would be surprised
how many people don't know about open source at all.  We still have a
ways to go before ordinary computer users know that there are good
alternatives to many expensive software packages.

The marketing team is interdisciplinary, some with background in
copywriting, some in graphic design, some in social networking, etc.
If you think this would be interesting, I think we could put together
an amazing short promotional video for distribution on Youtube.    I
bet there would be ways for you to make a singularly valuable
contribution, whether helping with the concept, script, or even
tending your talents in a voice-over.

Regards,

-Rob