Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Abhinandan Prateek <cl...@aprateek.com> on 2013/07/12 11:45:43 UTC

systemVM templates

The cloudstack community needs to find a online space to host system VM
templates. With 4.2 upgrade to new sytemVM templates is inevitable.

Can we request PMC to get us some space on apache infrastructure for the
same.

-abhi

RE: systemVM templates

Posted by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com>.
+1

Re: systemVM templates

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Chip Childers
> <ch...@sungard.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:10:08AM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
>> > Hi Abhi,
>> >
>> > You may upload on your people.apache.org/~ hosting space (which is on
>> > Apache infra as well) and give the links to the community?
>>
>> That may not be something that Infra wants us to do in the p.a.o space,
>> but I could be wrong.
>>

> I not sure either, but I've seen people host different sorts of things,
> binaries etc. and if Infra does not want us to do such things it kind of
> beats the purpose of p.a.o space for publishing fair use contents related
> to ASF projects. Can anyone help verify this?
>
> If these things are not allowed by the ASF Infra, we can surely host it on
> sourceforge or other fair use hosting providers. I can surely host them on
> my VPS and ask members of community. Also, does that mean I need to move
> DevCloud2 appliance among other things from my p.a.o space?
>
> Cheers.

The problem infra has isn't with you hosting content there. They
assume that you'll not do things that are legally or morally unfit.
The issue is pushing what is effectively a project download (and a
large project download) that will be for general user consumption to
people.a.o. To minimize the bandwidth impact to our generous colo
providers, they've erected a mirror system to spread the load; and
prefer that you use that rather than overloading a single provider and
single machine.

If we really wish to publish systemvms as a project, and not use
Wido;s  or some other system, we'd need to request permission from
Legal to essentially host a convenience binary with lots of Cat-X
licensed material, and actually put it in dist.

--David

Re: systemVM templates

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.

Re: systemVM templates

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Re: systemVM templates

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Hi Abhi,

Re: systemVM templates

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
I think Abhi is coming from the context of the bug CLOUDSTACK-3480
(Abhi correct me if I am wrong). There are parts of the object store
work that depend on the hardlink to the template url. Right now that
url points to the cloud.com resource which is in the vm_template
table.

May be we can fix object store to use pre-seeded templates placed in
specific buckets but I thought I'd bring this up.

--
Prasanna.,

Powered by BigRock.com

Re: systemVM templates