Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/22 07:27:53 UTC

Funds are available for AOO marketing activities

Some of you may know me from the former OOo project. My primary
activity for about 8 years has been writing, editing, and publishing
user guides, and I was one of the last "Co-Leads" of the Documentation
Project. I've always had an interest in the marketing side as well,
and have helped organise and staff a few tables at events, but I never
had time to do more than that.

I am also involved (as Secretary-Treasurer) with an Australia-based
not-for-profit association, Friends of OpenDocument Inc., which
handles the money raised from sales of printed copies of OOo user
guides and other books. We are currently holding around AUD10,000
(more than USD10,000, or around EUR8,000 at current exchange rates) in
the OOo account, and more comes in each month. This money is available
to cover expenses that Apache can't or won't deal with, such as the
cost of marketing materials (including copies of the user guides) for
tables at events, attendance at events aimed at potential and actual
customers (librarians, educators, etc), or just about anything we
think would be valuable for spreading awareness.

We don't have a very formal process for people to request money, but
you would need to give enough info about what you want the money for,
how much, who's involved, and so on, so the Friends of OpenDocument
Inc's Management Committee can evaluate your request.

BTW, we welcome new members; no charge to join. Info on the website,
which is rarely updated except for financial statements and notices of
meetings required by law (and the minutes of those meetings).

--Jean
http://friendsofopendocument.com/

Re: Funds are available for AOO marketing activities

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Jean,

On 2/22/12 7:27 AM, Jean Weber wrote:
> Some of you may know me from the former OOo project. My primary
> activity for about 8 years has been writing, editing, and publishing
> user guides, and I was one of the last "Co-Leads" of the Documentation
> Project. I've always had an interest in the marketing side as well,
> and have helped organise and staff a few tables at events, but I never
> had time to do more than that.

knowing what you are doing for the documentation is good, and now
knowing that you are also interested in marketing is better. I hope you
find time to help more ;-)

> I am also involved (as Secretary-Treasurer) with an Australia-based
> not-for-profit association, Friends of OpenDocument Inc., which
> handles the money raised from sales of printed copies of OOo user
> guides and other books. We are currently holding around AUD10,000
> (more than USD10,000, or around EUR8,000 at current exchange rates) in
> the OOo account, and more comes in each month. This money is available
> to cover expenses that Apache can't or won't deal with, such as the
> cost of marketing materials (including copies of the user guides) for
> tables at events, attendance at events aimed at potential and actual
> customers (librarians, educators, etc), or just about anything we
> think would be valuable for spreading awareness.

great and thank for sharing this info with us and especially the offer
to spend the money for OO marketing related things.

> We don't have a very formal process for people to request money, but
> you would need to give enough info about what you want the money for,
> how much, who's involved, and so on, so the Friends of OpenDocument
> Inc's Management Committee can evaluate your request.

informal and easy but working is always good ;-)

Juergen

Re: Fwd: Funds are available for AOO marketing activities

Posted by Imed Hammouda <im...@tut.fi>.
Hello!

In reference to your message below, I would like to draw your attention
to the possibility of organizing a keynote/tutorial/session on AOO at
OSS 2012 (www.oss2012.org) to be held in September in the city of
Hammamet - Tunisia. OSS is the premier international open source conference.

Please let us know if you are interested in this opportunity.

Best regards,
Imed Hammouda
OSS 2012 program chair