Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christoph Schönfeld <cs...@sylphen.com> on 2005/11/14 15:32:31 UTC

Specification Title in Manifest

Hi,

I have noticed that the project description is used in the
Specification-Title attribute of the manifest.mf file in generated JARs.
Shouldn't this be the project name instead?

I just stumbled over that because Tomcat complained about an invalid JAR
file. My description contained Unicode characters (german umlaut
characters) which might be forbidden in the Manifest. I did not have the
time to investigate on Manifest encoding, though.

In case that the JAR specification restricts the Manifest encoding,
Maven should take care of this problem and escape forbidden characters
in the generated Manifest.

Christoph

Maven should remove newlines from values used for the Manifest

Posted by Christoph Schönfeld <cs...@sylphen.com>.
Hi,

the first suspect, the character encoding which is often enough cause of
problems, wasn't guilty. :)

The description contained a newline which is used by the Manifest format
to distinguish sections. The first sentence from your link says:

"A JAR file manifest consists of a main section followed by a list of
sections for individual JAR file entries, each separated by a newline."

Maven should remove newlines from the description and other values it
copies into the manifest.

Christoph

Re: Specification Title in Manifest

Posted by Michael Böckling <mi...@giniality.com>.
Hi,

default Manifest
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#JAR%20Manifest)
and Maven encoding is UTF-8. Maybe your editor didn't save it in that
format?

Michael Böckling

--
Giniality AG - Michael Böckling; Steinenberg 21, CH-4051 Basel
P: +41 61 226 99 63 - F: +41 61 226 99 69