Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Stuart A. Malone" <sa...@llamagraphics.com> on 2004/07/29 15:26:16 UTC

Bug in svn: protocol involving spaces (Modified by Stuart A. Malone)

Marcos Chaves on the users mailing list was able to reproduce this bug,
and neither of us can find it in the issue tracker database, so I
thought it was time to bring this up on the dev mailing list:

I believe that I have tracked down and can reproduce a problem in
subversion 1.0.6 involving the way the svn: protocol handles spaces in
pathnames.  I have found places where issuing a diff or merge command
remotely using the svn: protocol will fail, where the same command
issued locally using the file: protocol will succeed.

For example, if I run this command directly on the subversion server,
it succeeds:

svn diff -r 1226:1193 file:///svnrepos/trunk/Projects/Life%20Balance

But if I run the equivalent command on the same repository from a
client machine, it fails:

svn diff -r 1226:1193 svn://whirlwind/trunk/Projects/Life%20Balance
svn: Invalid editor anchoring; at least one of the input paths is not a
directory and there was no source entry

If I do a diff directly on the Projects directory (leaving out
"/Life%20Balance"), it succeeds on both machines.

Attached is a csh script that reproduces the error.  Edit the
repository variable at the top of the script to point to a writable
repository that uses the svn: protocol.

--Stuart A. Malone
   Llamagraphics, Inc.

Re: Bug in svn: protocol involving spaces (Modified by Stuart A. Malone)

Posted by "Stuart A. Malone" <sa...@llamagraphics.com>.
On Jul 30, 2004, at 1:08 PM, Greg Hudson wrote:

> This bug was fixed on the trunk in r10353 as part of the fix for
> another
> more theoretical issue.  r10353 postdates the creation of the svn 1.1
> branch by a couple of days, so it's currently scheduled for the 1.2
> release.  Because r10353 is a big fix for a larger issue, there are
> some
> issues with naively backporting it to 1.1, but there are a couple of
> avenues, and hopefully one of them will work out.

Thanks for checking into this for me.  It's nice to know that a fix is
already in the queue.

I'd certainly welcome a fix in the 1.1 timeframe if that is possible,
since I'm running into this issue several times a week.  But since I
can work around the problem by performing diffs & merges directly on
the repository server, I can certainly wait for 1.2 if necessary.

Best wishes,

--Stuart A. Malone
   Llamagraphics, Inc.
   Makers of Life Balance personal coaching software
   http://www.llamagraphics.com/

Re: Bug in svn: protocol involving spaces (Modified by Stuart A. Malone)

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 11:26, Stuart A. Malone wrote:
> I believe that I have tracked down and can reproduce a problem in
> subversion 1.0.6 involving the way the svn: protocol handles spaces in
> pathnames.

You are correct; svnserve improperly handles URI-encoded characters in
the path portions of some commands.

This bug was fixed on the trunk in r10353 as part of the fix for another
more theoretical issue.  r10353 postdates the creation of the svn 1.1
branch by a couple of days, so it's currently scheduled for the 1.2
release.  Because r10353 is a big fix for a larger issue, there are some
issues with naively backporting it to 1.1, but there are a couple of
avenues, and hopefully one of them will work out.

I'm not sure if there will be another general-bugfix 1.0.x release; if
there is, we could construct a narrower version of r10353 to fix this
problem, but I'm not sure if we will.

(Sorry for the complicated answer; it's a complicated situation.)

Re: Bug in svn: protocol involving spaces (Modified by Stuart A. Malone)

Posted by Lele Gaifax <le...@nautilus.homeip.net>.

    Stuart> Marcos Chaves on the users mailing list was able to
    Stuart> reproduce this bug, and neither of us can find it in the
    Stuart> issue tracker database,

See also issue 1905, that describes a similar (maybe related) problem.

ciao, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.

Re: Bug in svn: protocol involving spaces (Modified by Stuart A. Malone)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 10:26, Stuart A. Malone wrote:
> Marcos Chaves on the users mailing list was able to reproduce this bug,
> and neither of us can find it in the issue tracker database, so I
> thought it was time to bring this up on the dev mailing list:

I pointed this bug to ghudson on IRC yesterday, who has started looking
at it.  He wasn't able to reproduce it right away, but he's still
trying.   My guess is that he'll either fix it today, or file a bug on
it.  Thanks for pointing it out!