Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Monnerie <m....@zmi.at> on 2006/03/28 10:31:58 UTC

Fwd: Re[4]: rulesdujour, lint, and whitelist_spf

Hi @all,

is it possible to implement some kind of
echo "Error in configuration"
that can be put in config files? I think it would be a good feature to
inform users of misconfigs.

Here's part of the dialog I had with Rob Menschel and Theo van Dinter:

Subject: Re[4]: rulesdujour, lint, and whitelist_spf
Date: Dienstag, 28. März 2006 06:01
From: Robert Menschel <Ro...@menschel.net>
To: Michael Monnerie <m....@zmi.at>

Hello Michael,

Sunday, March 26, 2006, 11:10:28 PM, you wrote:

MM> On Montag, 27. März 2006 02:53 Robert Menschel wrote:
>> If I do as you suggest, then there'll be no notification that you've
>> completely lost all SARE whitelist functionality; you'll only turn
>> it off.  This way, you (should) know that you have a problem, and
>> you can switch back to the non-SPF file, and keep the benefits of
>> the whitelist.

MM> OK, is there some warning possible? I use SPF, just wanted to turn
 it MM> off for testing. But I didn't do --lint afterwards, and next
 day I was MM> surprised about the problems, as I wasn't thinking that
 turning SPF off MM> causes such problems. Others might have the same.
 So if possible MM> something like
MM> if module SPF
MM>    load rules
MM> else
MM>    echo warning: SPF turned off, not using rules
MM> fi
MM> could do a very nice job of informing about the problem.

That could be useful, but there is no "echo" function that I'm aware
of within SA.  The best we could do is

> if module SPF
>   whitelist rules
> else
>   something that causes an error
> fi

If you want something better than that, it's back to the development
team to develop a useful else.

// Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc  ---   it-management Michael Monnerie
// http://zmi.at           Tel: 0660/4156531          Linux 2.6.11
// PGP Key:   "lynx -source http://zmi.at/zmi2.asc | gpg --import"
// Fingerprint: EB93 ED8A 1DCD BB6C F952  F7F4 3911 B933 7054 5879
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net                 Key-ID: 0x70545879