Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com> on 2017/07/15 21:39:30 UTC

Re: Facebook BSD+patents license and Apache products

+ dev@flink (if they allow this through moderation.. I'm not subscribed to their list anymore; If not I believe that there are enough Flink PMCs on private@mahout to answer

We've stopped shipping the flink binaries as of Mahout 0.13.0:

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.mahout/mahout-flink_2.10

Due to some versioning issues IIRC.  Source is all still available for build with or without ViennaCL.

Is there anything that needs tom be done from our end?

--andy

________________________________
Posted by "Torok, David" <Da...@comcast.com>.
Looking at the end of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-303  it seems that the issue has been (partially) resolved by RocksDB re-licensing under Apache V2 and GPL (dual license) but would only take effect for consumers (e.g. Flink) after a RocksDB release... so hopefully there isn't too long a time if any that RocksDB is not available as a backend for state.

The assertion that Flink is using RocksDB seems to be a bit over stated.

https://github.com/apache/flink/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=rocksdb&type= is how Flink uses RocksDB.  It appears that its an optional dependency already, and not core to Flink.  What this means is that you shouldn't use the Flink RocksDB backend, and Flink will need to remove that contrib module from the ASF based sources.

I'll also point out that cross this between public and private lists is confusing, and not very ASF friendly.

John

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.
Thank you, I beleve Mahout is safe:

```

andy@micheal:~/sandbox/mahout_cuda$ mvn dependency:list | grep org.rocksdb

```

yields no results; transitive dependenies are listed by default

--andy

ASF Legal Previously Asked Questions<https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x>
www.apache.org

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.