Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/28 11:11:14 UTC

Semantic Query Interface for the Contenthub (was Re: Updates to LMF/Stanbol integration)

Hi Anil, all

Created also an own thread for this topic …

Currently my focus is not (yet) on the implementation, but much more on how features like

* Entity substitution (replacing "Paris" in a query with the entity "http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris")
* Entity Facets (adding facets for Entities used  or substituted in the Users query)
* Semantic Facets (adding Facets and possible special UI elements) based on the type of Entities used in the Query or the type Instances selected by query)

I clearly agree that the

* Entityhub could be used to implement Entity substitution and Entity Facets
* Ontologies managed by the Ontonet component could be used to provide Semantic Facets

and that the current implementations of the Contenthub provides already a lot of functionality related to that. However I think before we start to implement we need first a more clear picture how all such features could help End-Users to interact with the Knowledge-Space we want to manage in the Contenthub.

So if people could share Ideas, existing Examples of cool search interfaces … it would be really helpful!

Some links to existing resources of the IKS project:

* For the first Community Meeting of the IKS project I created an presentation on semantic search [1]. I think some of the concepts presented by this presentation are still highly relevant.
* The UserStories[2]
    * "S01" mentions "Entity Facets"
    * "S04" could be supported by "Entity substitution" but goes much further than that
    * "S20" suggest query and result contextualization based on user specific profiles. Maybe a feature we might also want to consider when defining the API
    * "S27" includes "Entity substitution" and "Semantic Facets"

Sebastian/Jakob maybe you could also provide a short overview about related resources/demos based on the work on the LMF

best
Rupert

[1] http://www.interactive-knowledge.org/sites/www.interactive-knowledge.org/files/iks_semantic_search_20090528_rw.pdf
[2] http://wiki.iks-project.eu/index.php/User-stories