Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Jörg Henne <j....@levigo.de> on 2007/12/20 16:37:36 UTC

Contributing DHCP code back into Apache DS project

Hi all,

while the LDAP mapper is still pending, I'd like to get things going
regarding the DHCP code. I already outlined the state of the DHCP code
with the bottom line that there is currently no working full DHCP
implementation. Nevertheless this would be a better starting point for
the completion of a first usable implementation, as there is already an
implementation of the actual DHCP protocol.

If you think it is desirable to merge back the openthinclient.org
changes, the question would be how we get this done. Our implementation
of the DHCP service already contains several interfaces where
implementations can be switched:
- the implementation of the protocol can be switched between DHCP and PXE
- in the DHCP case, there is a protocol implementation which gets its
configuration from a configuration store.
- the PXE implementation does not yet have this abstraction but I'd like
to introduce it.

For the Apache DS code base this would have to following consequences:
- There are implementations for both DHCP and PXE
- Both implementations rely on a configuration store
- The initial contribution/merge would NOT contain an actual
implementation of those stores.

Please let me know what you think.

Joerg Henne