Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by Shane Bryzak <sb...@redhat.com> on 2012/07/25 01:54:33 UTC

Re: [suggestion] - Documentation

I'd like to re-open the discussion on documentation format, as there
seems to have been a decision slip through the cracks on this that many
of us missed.  My greatest concern is that the selected tool needs to
meet the requirements stated in DELTASPIKE-13 [1].  Does the choice of
Apache CMS for hosting documentation meet the following requirements?

1) Making available the documentation for previously released versions
of DeltaSpike.

2) Making available the documentation in offline formats, such as HTML
or PDF available for download.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DELTASPIKE-13

- Shane

Posted by Shane Bryzak <sb...@redhat.com>.
I guess something like that would work, although it would be nice if in
addition to that we packaged the documentation with the release itself.
The requirement is simple, we need to make the documentation for
previous releases available in an easy to access location - for example
take a look at how Maven does it [1].  Maven also uses a static URL to
refer to the current version of the docs [2] which I think is important
also. However we achieve that I don't mind, so whether we copy it to
another place, or tag it as part of the release process or whatever.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/
[2] http://maven.apache.org/ref/current/

Shane

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shane Bryzak <sb...@redhat.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 25, 2012, at 12:48 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> The problem with anonymous edits is that it's really a spam honey pot :/
>
> We tried this for our WiKis but the effort needed to maintain the black-list and to remove spam is not low.

FYI, that it's part of the CMS package and not an opt-in feature (at least not yet).

That said it's really just a local checkout of the site with some minimal tooling to let the project know via email there's something there they might want to merge into the docs.  The only way you can see the temporary checkout is if you attempt to edit anonymously.

As a spammer at best you can do is dirty up the anonymous checkout and annoy anyone else attempting to edit anonymously.

-David

Re: [suggestion] - Documentation

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>.
On 25 Jul 2012, at 08:05, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> CMS should be fine for this requirements then it needs some work but offers
> all the needed hooks.
>
> At least for consistency with other apache projects (a lot migrated to the
> cms) i think it is good to use it.

I agree, it seems like a good tool.

> I know this topic will be frustrating for half of the people engaged here
> since red hat and apahe guys doesn't currently use the same tools but i
> think/hope nobody will feel frustrated once the doc will be in place.

We're not really that far apart.

We've started to move over to a very similar set of tools:

* awestruct, which is kinda like the CMS, but different
* markdown, for shorter docs (e.g. READMEs)
* asciidoc for longer docs (explained the differences elsewhere :-)

Awestruct is addresses half of what Apache CMS does, it is the bit that reads in a source file, and spits out the HTML. It doesn't do the "continuous integration" and "workflow" bits, where you check into some SCM, and then the CMS picks this up, and asks for confirmation to publish, you are left to do that yourself.

So the overall idea is very similar, just the details are different.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 25 Jul 2012, at 07:17, Mark Struberg wrote:
> >
> >> David, the CMS is already set up and running (in SVN [1]). We just need
> a bit more stylish css.
> >>
> >> And you can perfectly create pdf docs out of markdown.
> >>
> >> Of course we can also use alternative formats. But to me this is like a
> colour preference - markdown is supported out of the box and provides all
> needed options.
> >
> > My only concern here is that Markdown doesn't support a few useful
> things for full on docs (vs readmes and snippets of text):
>
> FWIW,
> >
> > * admonitions
> I.e., warnings?  What are you looking for here?

Warnings, notes, tips, info, etc. Often times they're sidebars.

> > * callouts on code
> Again, not sure I know what you're meaning here.

If you're familiar with docbook, they call them callouts. They're numbered
sections from a code snippet with their own section beneath the code layout
explaining what each number is.

> > * a standard way of indicating what the source language of a code block
> is
> Apache CMS has this.
>
> > * definition lists
> Example?

In HTML the DL, DD and DT tags

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
i think we can either to send a mail to
http://apache.org/dev/infra-mail.html , or to ping on #asfinfra.

another way could be to open a jira on infra project but i think we should
talk with them before.

- Romain

Posted by Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>.
On 25 Jul 2012, at 16:36, Matt Benson wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> FWIW,

>>> I.e., warnings?  What are you looking for here?
>>
>> Yes, admonitions is the term given (I think by docbook) to the boxouts that are e.g. Warning, Info, Important.

>>> Again, not sure I know what you're meaning here.
>>
>> I can have a little icon (e.g. a 1), next to a line of code, then a table at the bottom of the codeblock that links to that. Allows you to annotate a code block with notes.

>>> Apache CMS has this.
>>
>> Cool. How would this work if we were also producing pdfs and epubs? Is this a standard extension to markdown?
>
> Yes; the code highlighting is done with
> http://freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/CodeHilite; depending
> on the structure of whatever mechanism would be theoretically used to
> produce other formats, we'd presumably just make the same extensions
> available.

That works :-)

Re: [suggestion] - Documentation

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2012, at 16:16, Matt Benson wrote:

>>> My only concern here is that Markdown doesn't support a few useful things for full on docs (vs readmes and snippets of text):
>>
>> FWIW,
>>>
>>> * admonitions
>> I.e., warnings?  What are you looking for here?
>
> Yes, admonitions is the term given (I think by docbook) to the boxouts that are e.g. Warning, Info, Important.
>

>>> * callouts on code
>> Again, not sure I know what you're meaning here.
>
> I can have a little icon (e.g. a 1), next to a line of code, then a table at the bottom of the codeblock that links to that. Allows you to annotate a code block with notes.
>

>>> * a standard way of indicating what the source language of a code block is
>> Apache CMS has this.
>
> Cool. How would this work if we were also producing pdfs and epubs? Is this a standard extension to markdown?

Yes; the code highlighting is done with
http://freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/CodeHilite; depending
on the structure of whatever mechanism would be theoretically used to
produce other formats, we'd presumably just make the same extensions
available.

>>> * definition lists
>> Example?
>
> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_dl.asp

As it turns out,
http://freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/Definition_Lists is
also enabled in the Apache CMS.  The full list of enabled extensions
is at http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref#markdown .

Matt

Posted by Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2012, at 07:17, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> David, the CMS is already set up and running (in SVN [1]). We just need a bit more stylish css.
>>
>> And you can perfectly create pdf docs out of markdown.
>>
>> Of course we can also use alternative formats. But to me this is like a colour preference - markdown is supported out of the box and provides all needed options.
>
> My only concern here is that Markdown doesn't support a few useful things for full on docs (vs readmes and snippets of text):

FWIW,

> * admonitions
I.e., warnings?  What are you looking for here?

> * callouts on code
Again, not sure I know what you're meaning here.

> * a standard way of indicating what the source language of a code block is
Apache CMS has this.

> * definition lists
Example?

Posted by Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
The answer to both these questions really that the CMS creates "websites", some details on that below

I'll note that the CMS is svn based -- maybe undesirable given the use of git.

On Jul 24, 2012, at 4:54 PM, Shane Bryzak wrote:

> Does the choice of Apache CMS for hosting documentation meet the following requirements?
>
> 1) Making available the documentation for previously released versions of DeltaSpike.

If by "make available" the intention is browsable on the website, then sure there are ways to handle that.

> 2) Making available the documentation in offline formats, such as HTML or PDF available for download.

Certainly you can use the same source to generate non-website looking HTML.  Same goes for PDF.

You wouldn't be using the CMS to do this, but the CMS doesn't prevent it.  It'd be something we setup ourselves and could be done via a CI server or something done at release time.

Basically the CMS is a system that is for generate website html using the following layout:

 - content/<source-files-and-directories>
 - lib/<site-generating-perl-functions>
 - templates/<whatever-you-need-for-templates>

When something in 'content/' is updated, it will run it through lib/ (which leverages templates/) and save the resulting html to disk and take care of synching that html file from staging to production.

When something in 'lib/' or 'templates/' is updated, it pretends as if everything in 'content/' has changed and performs the above step on every source file.

You can organize the 'content/' dir however you want.  That could mean:

 - content/v0.1/
 - content/v0.2/
 - content/current/

Where 'current' gets versioned on release.  Or anything at all.  Maybe just:

 - content/<wild-wild-west>

So the short answer is there isn't anything there to prevent or help the two points.

In terms of generating outside the CMS which is what would be needed for say, turning many files into one file such as a zip of html or a PDF, it's up to us.  There are projects that do it via buildbot.  Buildbot is not so much a CI tool as it is "cron with a webUI" and also happens to have the ability to be trigger by commits.