Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Hughes, Ralph" <RH...@anteon.com> on 2000/11/16 14:00:13 UTC

Environment configuration problems

OK,
I've tried everything I can think of and I'm still having environment
configuration problems.

I have a series of scripts that access an Oracle database.  At a minimum,
two environment variables need to be set up for this; ORACLE_HOME and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (must include $ORACLE_HOME/lib)
I set both of these in the httpd.conf file for both the CGI and mod_perl
environment using using SetEnv and PerlSetEnv respectively.  Looking at the
environment using /perl-status shows them set properly.

Now, when I try to kick hit one of these via mod_perl, I consistently get a
'failed compilation' error when the script attempts to hook up to the
database.  THE EXACT SAME SCRIPT will run fine as a plain old CGI.

If I shutdown the web server, set ORACLE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my
environment (root's environment actually) and restart Apache, the mod_perl
references start working fine.
Is there some strangeness in my current version of Apache that only allows
environment variables to be set for mod_perl *if* they are set in the Apache
startup environment first?

I'm currently running Apache 1.3.12 on RedHat 6.0 (2.2.14) with mod_perl
1.24 build on Perl 5.00503.  Apache::DBI 0.87 is loaded along with DBI 1.14.

Obviously the workaround for the time being is to start up the server
manually, but this DOES NOT help matters if the server has to reboot for
some reason.
One other thing, I have an almost identical configuration running on two
other servers, and it seems to run fine.  The differences being the Linux
version (Mandrake 7.0 vice RedHat) on one and Apache 1.3.9 on the other.
I've 'diffed' everything I can think of and just can't find the problem

I'm certain that I have just missed *one little line* in a config script,
but try as I might, I can't find it.

Thanks for the help!

Ralph Hughes                     <ma...@anteon.com>
rhughes@anteon.com
Sr. Systems Engineer                334-260-3200
Anteon Corp.                            DSN 596-5631
Montgomery, AL