Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/30 18:32:05 UTC

ApacheCon Presentation Videos Available; Update on Events

The two sessions on the Apache OpenOffice project delivered at the
ApacheCon North America event in Portland, Oregon on February 27th are
finally posted on youtube.

1) Apache OpenOffice: Project Update and Future Direction[1] by yours
truly.....and
2) Scripting Apache OpenOffice[2], by Rony Flatscher

It's not yet clear what major events the ASF will hold for 2014. When the
board met in May, a vote to dissolve the position of VP Concomm was
approved.[3] Duties were split across office of President, Marketing and
Publicity and Comdev.

In any event (English pun intended), we would be wise to think local and
consider Barcamps or Meetups for OpenOffice community development and
knowledge sharing. While I enjoyed the opportunity to meet and get to know
many other ASF members across different projects in Portland, I don't think
the effort and expense to deliver this session was the best choice due to
the high volume of different project participation and speakers.  For
focus, let's think and act local.

Melissa Warnkin <mi...@yahoo.com> ...
 is the go-to resource for requesting materials for small events; e.g.
banners, table skirts, supplies, etc. If you're thinking about leading a
local event, start by contacting Missy.

A note to trademarks@ is always a good idea as well, as a courtesy and to
demonstrate our proper governance of the ASF marks, including, of course,
our prized Apache OpenOffice mark.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpXUWc1nhso
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4DeOilMOQA
[3] http://www.apache.org/**foundation/records/minutes/**
2013/board_minutes_2013_05_15.**txt<http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2013/board_minutes_2013_05_15.txt>

Re: ApacheCon Presentation Videos Available; Update on Events

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 30/10/2013 Donald Harbison wrote:
> The two sessions on the Apache OpenOffice project delivered at the
> ApacheCon North America event in Portland, Oregon on February 27th are
> finally posted on youtube.

Thank you! The presentation is nice and audio is OK, but slides are
really unreadable... some recording problems maybe?

> It's not yet clear what major events the ASF will hold for 2014.

As far as I know, this is being discussed, and some details are still
confidential. But, also considering that OpenOffice has many
Europe-based volunteers as you say in the above presentation, I hope
that in the end there will be both a US and a EU event in 2014.

> In any event (English pun intended), we would be wise to think local and
> consider Barcamps or Meetups for OpenOffice community development and
> knowledge sharing.

Indeed!

Regards,
   Andrea.