Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2007/07/08 14:13:37 UTC

size of java cache dirs - .ivy is huge!

Of interest:

   root@vmgump:/home/gump# cd ~gump
   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .ivy
   1.2G    .ivy
   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .maven
   41M     .maven
   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .m2
   791M    .m2

While we have a bunch of different stuff in .maven and .m2, almost
all of the stuff in ~gump/.ivy is smartfrog artifacts, going back
months and months and months. There's no reason for gump to keep
months of generated jars. I'd argue that either

   * there must be a way to configure ivy to do a "SNAPSHOT" thingie

or

   * we must erase ~/.ivy after every run

opinions?

Actually, I guess we could also just erase .maven and .m2, once a
week, too.

cheers,

Leo Simons
--
http://www.leosimons.com/blog/

Re: ant-contrib seems to be building with stale snapshot

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
I've wiped the checkout for ant-contrib on vmgump, so Gump will have to do a
fresh co on the next cycle.  There was a problem that the ~gump/.ivy
directory wasn't owned by 'gump', which was causing ivy failures.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
The output for ant-contrib's Gump doesn't seem consistent with the
current build.xml file.  A few days ago, I moved some things around
in the ant-contrib repository and updated the gump descriptors for
ant-contrib and cpptasks.  Unfortunately, it looks like Gump is not

Re: size of java cache dirs - .ivy is huge!

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

>   * we must erase ~/.ivy after every run
>
> opinions?

You also need to purge ~/.ivy2

Ivy has just moved to a new location because they use different XML
files, and want to avoid conflict

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: size of java cache dirs - .ivy is huge!

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Of interest:
>
>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# cd ~gump
>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .ivy
>   1.2G    .ivy
>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .maven
>   41M     .maven
>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .m2
>   791M    .m2
>
> While we have a bunch of different stuff in .maven and .m2, almost all
> of the stuff in ~gump/.ivy is smartfrog artifacts, going back months and
> months and months. There's no reason for gump to keep months of
> generated jars. I'd argue that either
>
>   * there must be a way to configure ivy to do a "SNAPSHOT" thingie
>
> or
>
>   * we must erase ~/.ivy after every run
>
> opinions?

+1 to killing ivy and .m2 regularly

I've just tweaked my gump target to run our ivy-purge target before each
gump build;  this pulls all smartfrog artifacts from ~/.ivy/published
and ~/.ivy/cache ; its what we do before releases to make sure there
isnt any legacy state in there. I could add something similar for the m2
repository. This will stop smartfrog leaking versions, though gump is
still vulnerable to anything else publishing in to ivy

-steve

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: size of java cache dirs - .ivy is huge!

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Bill Barker wrote:
> "Leo Simons" <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote in message
>> Of interest:
>>
>>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# cd ~gump
>>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .ivy
>>   1.2G    .ivy
>>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .maven
>>   41M     .maven
>>   root@vmgump:/home/gump# du -hs .m2
>>   791M    .m2
>>
>> While we have a bunch of different stuff in .maven and .m2, almost  all of
>> the stuff in ~gump/.ivy is smartfrog artifacts, going back  months and
>> months and months. There's no reason for gump to keep  months of generated
>> jars. I'd argue that either
>>
>>   * there must be a way to configure ivy to do a "SNAPSHOT" thingie
>>
>> or
>>
>>   * we must erase ~/.ivy after every run
>>
>> opinions?
>>
>> Actually, I guess we could also just erase .maven and .m2, once a  week,
>> too.
>>

> I disabled the cleanup for .maven, since it nuked all of the plugins maven
> needs to do anything.  We run maven with --offline, so it shouldn't grow too
> big.

What about purging *-SNAPSHOT in the maven dir?

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: size of java cache dirs - .ivy is huge!

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.