Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/08/23 15:55:29 UTC

[VOTE] new committer: Adam Jack

Hi gang,

Adam has been active in the gump community since february or so, both
asking and answering many questions and participating in design talks.
He has more recently started actually hacking on the python
implementation of gump.

How about getting him on board as a committer?

non-binding +1 from me (since I'm not a gump committer myself)

cheers!

- Leo Simons

Re: [VOTE] new committer: Adam Jack

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hello,

I am not a gump committer, too. However, as a current issuer/editor
of the Apache Newsletter (and I know Adam's contribution to
that newsletter, too), I want to put my non-binding +1 to Adam
with my sincere hope, too.

... Nice catch, Leo.

--

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:55:29 +0200
(Subject: [VOTE] new committer: Adam Jack)

E-mail: tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/

Re: [VOTE] new committer: Adam Jack

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
+1

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] new committer: Adam Jack

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>>> I can't find the Official  Apache rules on "becomming a commiter"
>>> But six +1  and no -1.  Sounds like concurance to me.

from http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html
"Once a Contributor is nominated, all of the Committers for a subproject
will vote. If there are at least 3 positive votes and no negative votes,
the Contributor is converted into a Committer and given write access to
the source code repository for that subproject."

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Nick Chalko wrote:
> I can't find the Official  Apache rules on "becomming a commiter"  But
> six +1  and no -1.  Sounds like concurance to me.
>
> Unless I hear otherwise I will ask infrastructure to make Adam and
> account.   (Or does a member need to do that).

The process is pretty simple: an email needs to be sent to
root@apache.org asking for an id (sending the note to
infrastructure@apache.org also would work).

It helps if the request is fairly complete (names, emails, groups, etc).
  Gump is a special case as it is open to all committers, otherwise the
specific cvs trees also need to be identified.

The other thing to consider is that the person receiving the request
needs to be able to validate that this request is proper.  There are
multiple ways to achieve that.  One is simply to be as well known as I
am.  ;-)  Another is to copy the relevant PMC, thereby enabling anybody
who might object an opportunity to do so (essentially authentication by
lazy consensus).  A third way is to provide specific hypertext links to
the mailing list whereby the votes took place.

Rules of thumb: don't be shy.  And remember that the person on the other
end of that email is a human.  The request may happen in minutes.  If
not, and a few days go by, ping nicely.

> R,
> Nick

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] new committer: Adam Jack

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Nick Chalko wrote:
> I can't find the Official  Apache rules on "becomming a commiter"  But
> six +1  and no -1.  Sounds like concurance to me.
>
> Unless I hear otherwise I will ask infrastructure to make Adam and
> account.   (Or does a member need to do that).

The process is pretty simple: an email needs to be sent to
root@apache.org asking for an id (sending the note to
infrastructure@apache.org also would work).

It helps if the request is fairly complete (names, emails, groups, etc).
  Gump is a special case as it is open to all committers, otherwise the
specific cvs trees also need to be identified.

The other thing to consider is that the person receiving the request
needs to be able to validate that this request is proper.  There are
multiple ways to achieve that.  One is simply to be as well known as I
am.  ;-)  Another is to copy the relevant PMC, thereby enabling anybody
who might object an opportunity to do so (essentially authentication by
lazy consensus).  A third way is to provide specific hypertext links to
the mailing list whereby the votes took place.

Rules of thumb: don't be shy.  And remember that the person on the other
end of that email is a human.  The request may happen in minutes.  If
not, and a few days go by, ping nicely.

> R,
> Nick

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] new committer: Adam Jack

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote, On 23/08/2003 23.47:
>
>> +1
>>
>> If anything, this vote is overdue.  ;-)
>

> +1, both to Adam and to the comment ;-)

+1   to Adam

And yes we should have done this long ago.

Re: [VOTE] new committer: Adam Jack

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote, On 23/08/2003 23.47:

> +1