Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by CD...@hannaford.com on 2006/04/21 02:14:39 UTC

Test distributions of pluto-1.1-beta1 now available

As promised, test binary and source code distributions of Pluto 1.1 beta1
is available at:
http://cvs.apache.org/dist/portals/pluto/v1.1.0-beta1/

The web site has been updated to document installation and portlet
deployment, but it has not been published yet. It can be built from the
source distribution (use the 'mvn site:site' command) or you can check out
a copy of the Pluto 1.1 beta1 web site at:
http://people.apache.org/~cdoremus/pluto/pluto-1.1-dist/site/

Please test the distributions. In particular, I need you to test:
1. The bzip2 distributions since I was not able to test them. The gzip
files seem to work OK.
2. Deployment of portlets. Click on the Deploying menu item
(http://people.apache.org/~cdoremus/pluto/pluto-1.1-dist/site/v11/deploying.html)
and you will see documentation of a Maven 2 deployment process that I
cobbed together since the old one only partially worked. You will need to
build and deploy your custom portlet using a modified version of the
pom.xml file example that is documented on that page.
3. Documentation, especially of the installation and deployment process.
The FAQ is still missing, so the Faq link will not work.

Please ask any questions here, and report bugs to the Jira issue tracker
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10560). Report
Jira issues against 1.1.0-beta1 to be fixed in 1.1.0.

TIA
/Craig

Re: Test distributions of pluto-1.1-beta1 now available

Posted by CD...@hannaford.com.
Hi Elliot,

Thanks for your feedback. Base on your findings, I've updated the test
distributions and uploaded them to the test site. Fixes include:

* Refactoring the Ant target for doing tar and bzip2 files, so hopefully
that will clean up the bzip and permission issues. Please retest.
*  Modification of the Tomcat5FileSystemInstaller class to make all the
file separators in the Tomcat context DDs docBase attribute forward
slashes.

That LocalStrings error shows up in my console too, but it appears to not
be a problem. It's something that we can let slip for a beta release.

I do not have good access to a Unix server right now, so please continue
to test on your Linux box.

Thanks, again.
/Craig.

Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>
04/21/2006 12:03 AM
Please respond to
pluto-dev@portals.apache.org

pluto-dev@portals.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Test distributions of pluto-1.1-beta1 now available

Hi Craig,

Instead of one big fat report I'll just do this incrementally as I poke
along - hopefully that won't be a bother to you.  I put my environment
at the end of this email.

> Please test the distributions. In particular, I need you to test:
> 1. The bzip2 distributions since I was not able to test them. The gzip
> files seem to work OK.

I started testing the pluto-1.1.0-beta1-bin.bzip2 distribution, and ran
into the following issues:

1. had trouble 'bzip2 -d'ing the file:
[testbld@clue pluto]$ bzip2 -d pluto-1.1.0-beta1-bin.bzip2
bzip2: Can't guess original name for pluto-1.1.0-beta1-bin.bzip2 --
using pluto-1.1.0-beta1-bin.bzip2.out
[testbld@clue pluto]$ file pluto-1.1.0-beta1-bin.bzip2.out
pluto-1.1.0-beta1-bin.bzip2.out: tar archive

I could untar the pluto-1.1.0-beta1-bin.bzip2.out file fine.

2. Files in <PLUTO_HOME>/bin/*.sh don't have the execute bit set

3. Crash and burn on startup because of incorrect slashes in the Tomcat
deployment descriptors:
<PLUTO_HOME>/conf/Catalina/localhost/pluto.xml uses '\' instead of '/'
in the docBase.
<PLUTO_HOME>/conf/Catalina/localhost/testsuite.xml uses '\' instead of
'/' in the docBase.

After fixing the deployment descriptors I could run
<PLUTO_HOME>/bin/startup.sh and get up and running.

I do see this in the catalina.out when starting up - it seem innocuous
though:
[INFO] PortalStartupListener - Pluto portlet container started.
[INFO] PortalStartupListener - ********** Pluto Portal Driver Started
**********

[DEBUG] StringManager - String Manager Created for package:
org.apache.pluto.internal
Can't find resource org.apache.pluto.internal.LocalStrings
WebappClassLoader
   delegate: false
   repositories:
     /WEB-INF/classes/
----------> Parent Classloader:
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@138c63

[Ljava.net.URL;@1554d32
[DEBUG] Configuration - Using Descriptor Service Impl:
org.apache.pluto.descriptors.services.castor.PortletAppDescriptorServiceImpl

All tests passed for Test Portlet 1.  All tests except for the
SessionTimeoutTest passed for Portlet 2.  Problem?

I'll try loading portlets tomorrow/over the weekend.

Thanks,
Elliot

Here's my environment:
JAVA_HOME:
/usr/jdk1.5.0_02

'java -version':
java version "1.5.0_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_02-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode, sharing)

'uname -a':
Linux clue.mse.jhu.edu 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 16:53:16
EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

'cat /etc/redhat-release':
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg)

'tar --version':
tar (GNU tar) 1.14
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

'bzip2 --version':
bzip2, a block-sorting file compressor.  Version 1.0.2, 30-Dec-2001.

    Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Julian Seward.

    it under the terms set out in the LICENSE file, which is included
    in the bzip2-1.0 source distribution.

    LICENSE file for more details.

bzip2: I won't write compressed data to a terminal.
bzip2: For help, type: `bzip2 --help'.

Re: Test distributions of pluto-1.1-beta1 now available

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
Hi Craig,