Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/03 19:56:47 UTC

[id] Composite identifiers

Last night I added the "prefixed" identifier generators contributed by
Michael Heuer in BZ 34254 (Thanks, Michael!).  These made me think
again of something that we discussed a while back: composite
identifiers.  The prefixed identifiers could be viewed as composites
of a "constant" identifier on the front followed by an
alpha/alphanumeric.  (Admitedly a degenerate case, which is why I just
added the classes as submitted.)

I don't have immediate need for these things myself, but I am
wondering if other people do. Composition could take the form of
concatenation, hashing, or anything else that users want to do with
results from a List of identifiers in the composite.  An abstract base
class might provide access to the List and a cache of most recent
constituent identifier results.

Thoughts?

Phil