Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Ally Ogilvie <ao...@wizcorp.jp> on 2013/03/19 07:56:58 UTC

PhoneGap Plugins - Provide Versioning Advice

Hi all,

I am a great fan of rolling releases and pushing much needed features out
as soon as possible, something which the Cordova Team is awesome at doing!

(Here comes the however) However, I hope that as a platform we want not
only indie developers but medium to large development studios to use the
platform too.

Unfortunately something that always plagues software projects is updates
and stability etc.
In a commercial project lasting 6-12 months for game development stuck to
the same version of Cordova, its pretty common to see (from my experience)
that the kick ass plugin you wanted to use just jumped 10 versions of
Cordova rendering it backwards incompatible for you to use...

Assuming you cannot assassinate your project manager or find the extra man
hours to upgrade your Cordova platform (plus all your other plugins), I
personally would love to see more advice given to plugin developers to
version their shit. The platform does it, why not the plugins...

Branches at best, tags at the very least.

the Plugin Development Guide seems to be a logic place for this
http://docs.phonegap.com/en/2.5.0/guide_plugin-development_index.md.html#Plugin%20Development%20Guide

I guess this would help developers use plugman too?

(Rant over) :)

Thanks all!

--
<http://www.wizcorp.jp/>Ally Ogilvie
Lead Developer - MobDev. | Wizcorp Inc. <http://www.wizcorp.jp/>

Re: PhoneGap Plugins - Provide Versioning Advice

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Hey Ally, good to hear from you and awesome feedback!

Your thread came at a good time because Anis and Braden are starting to
tackle these issues in a sane way.

As Anis mentioned, a discussion thread should be jumping up today. You can
also track the plugin progress through the plugman code (no GitHub mirror
yet) [1], JIRA issue component [2], or hop onto IRC [3] for some real-time
chatter (all important discussions happen on [1] and [2] though).

[1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-plugman.git;a=summary
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB/component/12320402
[3] Freenode #cordova

Michael