Posted to users@ws.apache.org by Gustavo García Bernardo <gg...@tid.es> on 2006/05/19 16:55:47 UTC

XML-RPC extensions for NAT traversal

Hi,

Are there some kind of XML-RPC protocol “extension” allowing a XML-RPC
server behind a NAT/FW to receive requests?  I’m thinking in some kind of
permanent TCP connection, established from server side (natted), and inside
this connection could be transmited XML-RPC requests to the natted server.

Thank you very much

Re: XML-RPC extensions for NAT traversal

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.
On 19 May 2006, at 15:55, Gustavo García Bernardo wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Are there some kind of XML-RPC protocol “extension” allowing a XML-
> RPC server behind a NAT/FW to receive requests?  I’m thinking in
> some kind of permanent TCP connection, established from server side
> (natted), and inside this connection could be transmited XML-RPC
> requests to the natted server.

I have used Jabber-RPC to solve this problem. Jabber-RPC is basically
XML-RPC  over the XMMP protocol. I used Google's GTalk Jabber
service. It has the advantage that the server and the client can be
behind different NAT routers.

I'm not sure of the availability of Java implementations. I wrote an
implementation for Groovy (Groovy is a dynamic language which runs in
the JVM and integrates seamlessly with Java code). You can find
details at http://groovy.codehause.org (The site is recovering from a
major crash at the moment - normal service should be resumed at the
beginning of next week).

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
web http://www.wilson.co.uk
blog http://eek.ook.org

Re: XML-RPC extensions for NAT traversal

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Adam Taft wrote:

> This really doesn't have anything to do with XmlRpc but more to do with
> TCP/IP in general.

Yes, and no. Yes: A simple SSH tunnel from the XML-RPC would do. Indeed,
that's what I'd recommend, if possible. No: XML-RPC is basically a single
HTTP request. For NAT traversal, I think it would be possible to map the
single HTTP request into two HTTP requests, which the XML-RPC "server" would
send to the client. The first HTTP request would ask for the XML-RPC
request, the second HTTP request would send the response.

In Version 3 of Apache XML-RPC the transport is clearly separated from the
request/response handling. Indeed, it should be relatively easy to achieve
the above scenario.

Jochen

Re: XML-RPC extensions for NAT traversal

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@san.rr.com>.
The option if you are going point to point is to use something like
stunnel or ssh to create a tunneled connection so that connecting to the
tunnel on the far end results in a connection to the server on the near end.

This won't help for cases where you don't know where somebody will be
making the request that you want.

Posted by Adam Taft <ad...@hydroblaster.com>.
This really doesn't have anything to do with XmlRpc but more to do with
TCP/IP in general.

I assume you're trying to connect a client from outside the firewall to
a server inside the firewall?  If so, you need to configure your
firewall to "port forward" incoming connections to your XmlRpc server.

You'll need to consult your firewall documentation to learn how to do
this.  It's no different a procedure than configuring your firewall to
port forward http, smtp, pop3, etc.