Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> on 2011/12/08 20:57:49 UTC

[VOTE] Hadoop-1.0.0 release candidate 2

Hello all,
I have posted a release candidate for Hadoop 1.0.0 at
    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-1.0.0-rc2/

Please download, evaluate, and vote on this list.
The artifacts will be posted to the maven repo shortly.
The vote will close at noon PST on Thursday 15 Dec.

It may be of interest that it is important to use an appropriate version of
Java.
I lost several days due to instabilities apparently in Oracle JDK 1.6.0_23,
which
caused about 30 junit test failures in contrib (streaming, schedulers, and
gridmix).
Switching to JDK 1.6.0_26 made the problems go away.

The release artifacts in this hadoop-1.0.0-rc2 were build with JDK 1.6.0_26.

Thank you,
--Matt (Release Manager for 1.0.0, formerly known as 0.20.205.1)

Re: [VOTE] Hadoop-1.0.0 release candidate 2

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey Roman,
>
> That problem is at Hive end. You can try out the patch at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2631 to unblock your testing.

Sure. As I said -- the fix is pretty simple. However, releasing this
would break every single existing Hive installation out there.

Is this a good thing? Should we message it somehow? Should
we coordinate with Hive folks?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Hadoop-1.0.0 release candidate 2

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, I agree that we, the whole Hadoop development community, need to help
each other get the various components working together, and keep them
mutually compatible as each continues to grow and evolve.  I think BigTop
is providing a valuable service in this area, by providing an official
Apache place for the components to be tested together.
--Matt

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
Hey Roman,

That problem is at Hive end. You can try out the patch at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-2631 to unblock your testing.

Thanks,
Ashutosh

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Roman, the 1.0.0-rc2 is built from branch-1.0@1211738, which contains
> c1207581.

Thanks. This is useful to know. Wish I had that info earlier :-(

> Is the problem consistently reproducible in 1.0.0-rc2?  Perhaps you're
> seeing  some intermittent behavior?

Well, when I tried to reproduce it (and couldn't) I was running a
pseudo-distributed
setup on my latop. When I see the problem -- it is on a fully
distributed cluster
running off of Bigtop Jenkins:
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/RCs/job/Bigtop-rc-smoketest/
This *may* have something to do with it.

Anyway, now that we have the patch that actually fixes the issue 100%, the
real question is -- whether we should apply it to RC.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. In the future I'll try to reproduce everything over @Bigtop jenkins so that
at least we have a "paper trail" of things. Running tests over there is
pretty cheap.

Re: [VOTE] Hadoop-1.0.0 release candidate 2

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marco Zühlke <mz...@gmail.com>.
Chris K Wensel <ch...@...> writes:

> fwiw, looks like there is a dependency missing for jackson in the published
pom file.

Hi Chris,

there is already an issues for this: HADOOP-7461

Marco

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.

--
Chris K Wensel
chris@concurrentinc.com

Re: [VOTE] Hadoop-1.0.0 release candidate 2

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Roman,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
See the last comment on HADOOP-7929.

My working style is to put up a patch that sketches what changes I am thinking, if this is not too labor intensive to produce, even if while concurrently running tests to confirm assumptions. If I have something real, I'll set 'Patch Available'. Apologies if this caused any confusion here, and I can do this differently going forward. (?)

I _still_ don't have a working secure-everything environment with the latest RCs of all of the pieces, but 7929 is a red herring.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Dear all,
I have a clean build of the below, that passes junit testing, and was about
to post it, when I got email about the newly opened
HADOOP-7929<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7929> "Port
HADOOP-7070 to branch-1".  It appears this prevents secure HBase from
working with secure Hadoop.  Since HBase support is a key element of 1.0.0,
and it seems this will be fixable fairly promptly, I am going to wait
another day for 1.0.0-rc3.

Thanks for your patience,
--Matt

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have posted a release candidate for Hadoop 1.0.0 at
>    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-1.0.0-rc2/
>
> Please download, evaluate, and vote on this list.
> The artifacts will be posted to the maven repo shortly.
> The vote will close at noon PST on Thursday 15 Dec.

Pulled this RC into Bigtop, built the complete stack and published
packages in the usual place (feel free to install on your own cluster
by just doing yum or puppet installs):
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/RCs/job/Bigtop-trunk-rc-hadoop-1.0.0-hive-0.8.0/label=centos5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/output/
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/RCs/job/Bigtop-trunk-rc-hadoop-1.0.0-hive-0.8.0/

Ran test on a fully distributed 5 nodes cluster on EC2 for 10 hours:
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/RCs/job/Bigtop-rc-smoketest/lastCompletedBuild/#showFailuresLink

The bulk of the failures is in Hive.

At this point I feel like we've got to resolve 3 issues with this release:
   1. Making sure we agree on what to do with *all* of existing Hive
deployemnts
   that are going to be broken by the version change.
   2. Analyzing Mahout 0.5 failures:
       http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/RCs/job/Bigtop-rc-smoketest/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/junit/org.apache.bigtop.itest.mahout.smoke/TestMahoutExamples/factorizeMovieLensRatings/
       http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/RCs/job/Bigtop-rc-smoketest/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/junit/org.apache.bigtop.itest.mahout.smoke/TestMahoutExamples/testReutersLDA/
   3. Considering a fix for multifilewc

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Hadoop-1.0.0 release candidate 2

Posted by Mark Holderbaugh <ho...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Matt,
 I would like to request the following JIRA be included in Hadoop 1.0.0.

Thanks
Mark