Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Frédéric PRACA <fr...@freebsd-fr.org> on 2007/02/05 09:55:26 UTC

Migration problem : Disk space increased

Hello,
Friday afternoon I migrated from subversion 1.3.2 to 1.4.3 on the office Windows
XP server. I kept the BDB repository in 1.3 format until the end of the day when
I decided after migrating all clients to upgrade the repository itself. To do
that, I stopped Apache, dumped my repository (930 Mb), renamed the folder,
created a new repository using the new format and loaded my dump file into it.
Surprisingly, the new repository is now 1.2 Gb !! That is not what I really
expected to happen after reading the release notes of the 1.4 version.
If you have any idea of what happened and what to do to decrease the size of the
repo, I'll be very happy to hear it from you ;-)
For the moment, I'm not really sure of what will the backup server maintainer
say when seeing such an increase ;-)

Thanks a lot

Fred

Re: Migration problem : Disk space increased

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 5, 2007, at 03:55, Frédéric PRACA wrote:

> Friday afternoon I migrated from subversion 1.3.2 to 1.4.3 on the
> office Windows
> XP server. I kept the BDB repository in 1.3 format until the end of
> the day when
> I decided after migrating all clients to upgrade the repository
> itself. To do
> that, I stopped Apache, dumped my repository (930 Mb), renamed the
> folder,
> created a new repository using the new format and loaded my dump
> file into it.
> Surprisingly, the new repository is now 1.2 Gb !! That is not what
> I really
> expected to happen after reading the release notes of the 1.4 version.
> If you have any idea of what happened and what to do to decrease
> the size of the
> repo, I'll be very happy to hear it from you ;-)
> For the moment, I'm not really sure of what will the backup server
> maintainer
> say when seeing such an increase ;-)

True, the release notes do say that a 1.4 repository can be up to 50%
smaller on disk than a 1.3 repository due to improvements in xdelta:

http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.4_releasenotes.html#svndiff1

You mention that your old repository was BDB-based. Is your new
repository also BDB-based? Or is it FSFS-based, which is the default?
It's certainly possible that BDB- and FSFS-based repositories would
need different amounts of space to store the same data (though I
haven't compared it myself).

What version of BerkeleyDB were you using with the old repo? If the
new repo is also BDB-based, have you also upgraded BerkeleyDB at the
same time? If so, what version of BDB are you using now?

Re: Migration problem : Disk space increased

Posted by Frédéric PRACA <fr...@freebsd-fr.org>.
Selon Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>:

> True, the release notes do say that a 1.4 repository can be up to 50%
> smaller on disk than a 1.3 repository due to improvements in xdelta:
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.4_releasenotes.html#svndiff1
>
> You mention that your old repository was BDB-based. Is your new
> repository also BDB-based? Or is it FSFS-based, which is the default?
> It's certainly possible that BDB- and FSFS-based repositories would
> need different amounts of space to store the same data (though I
> haven't compared it myself).
The new repository is still BDB-based.

> What version of BerkeleyDB were you using with the old repo? If the
> new repo is also BDB-based, have you also upgraded BerkeleyDB at the
> same time? If so, what version of BDB are you using now?
Well in fact, I just used the setup (or zip) programs for Windows without
upgrading BDB myself. I supposed, but I might be wrong, that BDB was upgraded
along Subversion upgrade. Well, about versions, I still have db44 and db43 in my
subversion bin directory and only db44 in Apache bin.

Fred