Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Jason Trust <jt...@ctpartners.com> on 2004/03/10 20:49:45 UTC

RE: buildNormalContext called twice?

Found this posting about changing from a JspPortlet to
GenericMVCPortlet, but I am already using a GenericMVCPortlet and on a
form submission, the buildNormalContext is being called only once on the
portlet that has the doUpdate called, but it is being called twice for
another portlet.

http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg11357.ht
ml

If it helps, here is the output in my log:

2004-03-10 14:32:17,062 [Thread-9]

DEBUG GenericMVCAction - Action: try executing events

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** doUpdate ***

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** doUpdate - getMode = 0

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** doUpdate test-values = null ***

DEBUG GenericMVCAction - GenericMVCAction: retrieved context:
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.GenericMVCContext@1163cdc

DEBUG GenericMVCAction - GenericMVCAction: retrieved portlet:
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.GenericMVCPortlet@311410

DEBUG GenericMVCAction - GenericMVCAction: building normal

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** buildNormalContext ***

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** buildNormalContext portlet.getID() =
P-fb363f03ee-10000 ***

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** buildNormalContext test-values = ALMOST
THERE!!! ***

A little further down:

2004-03-10 14:32:17,078 [Thread-9]

DEBUG GenericMVCAction - GenericMVCAction: building normal

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** buildNormalContext ***

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** buildNormalContext portlet.getID() =
P-fb363f9e69-10001 ***

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** buildNormalContext test-values = ALMOST
THERE!!! ***

DEBUG GenericMVCAction - GenericMVCAction: retrieved context:
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.GenericMVCContext@187514a

DEBUG GenericMVCAction - GenericMVCAction: retrieved portlet:
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.GenericMVCPortlet@20d10a

DEBUG GenericMVCAction - GenericMVCAction: building normal

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** buildNormalContext ***

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** buildNormalContext portlet.getID() =
P-fb363f9e69-10001 ***

INFO  PartsSearchAction - *** buildNormalContext test-values = ALMOST
THERE!!! ***

So I have 2 portlets, which happen to be the same portlet, just two
instances on my pane - notice the id's are different.

Any thoughts as to why it is being called twice?

Luckily I am not doing anything yet expensive in the buildNormalContext
method, but I would be worried about this behavior if I were going to.

Jason Trust

R: buildNormalContext called twice?

Posted by Alessandro La Rocca <al...@teracomsrl.it>.
I don't know the reason, but I solved that problem adding the following
into my JspPorlet.

    <INPUT type="hidden" NAME="action"
VALUE="portlets.MyPortletAction"/>

Note that the same information is specified within the portlet entry of
the xreg:

    <parameter name="action" value="portlets.SelezionaContrattoAction"
hidden="true"
            cachedOnName="true" cachedOnValue="true"/>

It sounds strange, but it works.

BR, Alessandro