Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Serban Alexe <se...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/31 14:40:19 UTC

SOLR 7.3 - does the _text_ field work as a catch-all by default ?

Hi all,

I started working on a SOLR-based search system, and I'm still trying to
figure-out what's-what...

I noticed that the *_text_* field works as a *catch-all* field, although
there is no *copyField* defined to do this.
It simply gathers *everything* (documents content, tags, keywords, etc...).

The only thing I have related to it is this line:

<field name="_text_" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="true"
> multiValued="true"/>

* What exactly makes it work as catch-all in this case ?*
Is this the standard behaviour ?

Thank you.

--
Şerban Alexe

Re: SOLR 7.3 - does the _text_ field work as a catch-all by default ?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/1/22 19:38, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> If you don't have anything in your solrconfig.xml file or your schema
> that copies the data, then it must be your indexing system that is
> populating that field.

This can be found in the schema file in the _default configset in 8.11:

     <!-- This can be enabled, in case the client does not know what
fields may be searched. It isn't enabled by default
          because it's very expensive to index everything twice. -->
     <!-- <copyField source="*" dest="_text_"/> -->

This is commented out in that config, which means it won't be active
unless somebody uncomments it.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: SOLR 7.3 - does the _text_ field work as a catch-all by default ?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/31/22 08:40, Serban Alexe wrote:
> I noticed that the *_text_* field works as a *catch-all* field, although
> there is no *copyField* defined to do this.
> It simply gathers *everything* (documents content, tags, keywords, etc...).
>
> The only thing I have related to it is this line:

If you don't have anything in your solrconfig.xml file or your schema
that copies the data, then it must be your indexing system that is
populating that field.

If your indexing system is the dataimport handler, then there might be
something in the DIH config that does it.  I am actually unaware of that
being an option, but there is a lot to DIH that I have never explored.

There is nothing inherently magical about the _text_ field to my knowledge.

Thanks,
Shawn