Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by hudeqi <16...@bjtu.edu.cn> on 2022/07/01 12:41:20 UTC

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-842: Add richer group offset reset mechanisms

Thanks for your attention and reply.
If it is put together with "latest", the "safe_latest" does look a bit strange, which may make users not know which one to choose. In essence, "safe_latest" is to solve the situation that data may be lost after extending partition, so I think it is better to remove "safe_latest" and move this fixed logic to "latest".
In addition, I think that before this KIP was proposed, many people did not know this case, and it is even less possible to deal with it in application. If kafka can handle it by itself, that would be best.
As for nearest, I think it is more complicated than above case and little benefit. This kind of auxiliary strategy for out-of-range can also be removed If it is really hard to digested.
The "latest/earliest_on_start" is indeed mentioned by KAFKA-3370. I think it is more useful, so I put it together and put it into this KIP.

Best,
hudeqi

&quot;Matthias J. Sax&quot; &lt;mjsax@apache.org&gt;写道: