Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Koller, Shmuel" <Sh...@bmc.com> on 2003/09/16 10:26:13 UTC

RE: Ideas

I think BSF will get you only as far as Registering/Declaring objects and
call their methods -
not prolog activity of lookup for EJBs, and creating a local proxy object.

In comparing Java to the scripting languages which have BSF engine -
I would not call Java a system programming language,
but
a language which is not executed by way of source-string interpretation
hence a language with stronger/more-robust Typing and Runtime.

Last - the J2EE (and probably Geronimo) way to aggregate EJBs seems to be
business processes -
look for current J2EE+ (beyond J2EE spec) deliverables from IBM + BEA in
this area
or wait for graduation of corresponding JSRs
JSR 207  Process Definition for Java     http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=207
JSR 208  Java Business Integration (JBI) http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=208
summarized below:

  With J2EE 1.4, both servlets and EJBs can implement WSDL ports and use
  WSDL ports. This has effectively overlaid a universal, message based
  composition model over J2EE components.

  JSR 207 will now take over the extension of this model to include the
  control flow, state management, compensation, and sync-asynch merger
  that is needed for stateful web services in general and business
  processes in particular.

  JSR 208 will define a WSDL based communications model that will be the
  core of a J2EE environment. This WSDL based model will be used to
  loosely couple coarse grained 'components' within a service as well as
  communicate with external services.

Shmuel Koller