Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/30 19:39:18 UTC

[Triplesec]Ecore Model

I checked in an emf ecore and genmodel
for the triplesec model concepts
we've been discussing:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/sandbox/oersoy/triplesec/triplesec.model.ecore

A series of eclipse plugins, containing the model,
adapters for communicating between swt and the model,
and an editor can be generated using generate all
on the genmodel root.

SDOs can also be generated for this model.

Here's a good SDO article for those interested.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0510_peterson/0510_peterson.html

Have a burning question?

Re: [Triplesec]Ecore Model

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Alex,

With respect to the vision part,
it's doable, and almost done once the
DAS is complete.  We just need a mapping of
LDAP Schema to Ecore.  Then there's tons of graphical
capabilities that can be added on top from the EMFT,
etc. tooling and GMT tooling within Eclipse.  Thus
all these can be brought to the LDAP tool arsenal.

>>Ecore Model
Just XMI.  It describes the model.
That said Ecore can be used to model anything.
It models itself :-)
Everything can be mapped to Ecore.

>>What are SDO's?
I would think of SDO's as
java beans that have a change
summary attached to them, so that
they can update a datasource
efficiently.

(1)
Really Short Answer: Yes

Longer:
We can use an Ecore model
to generate SDO's or just
a model (Java beans effectively).
SDO generation is a switch you flip
on the genmodel.

See the EMF Library Tutorial if you want to see how to
generate just a model:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextools.cgi/org.eclipse.emf/doc/org.eclipse.emf.doc/tutorials/clibmod/clibmod.html

(2)
Short: Yes
Longer: Yes - But we should
read the LDAP Schema into its own
model (A model API for LDAP Schema).

Then traslate that model into an ecore
model.  Then serialize to Ecore.  Then
generate the SDO's or EMF Model.

This is a standard process used by EMF.

It can read an XML Schema and translate it to ecore.
EMF has the XSD Infoset API for this.  The XSD Infoset

API corresponds to what we would use for the LDAP
Schema model.

Cheers,
- Ole

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265