Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sartisty <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/27 10:31:58 UTC

how maven build plugins plugin use latest version

hi, all,
I have developed a maven build plugin and I will upgrade it
frequently. How to use the latest release version, not modify plugin
version in pom.xml frequently? One idea is no version setting, but it
will generate too much warnings. Setting LATEST, it won't work.
Is there any good solution? Glad to hear it.

Re: how maven build plugins plugin use latest version

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Sartisty,

> How to use the latest release version, not modify plugin version in
> pom.xml frequently?

Why not just keep it as an eternal 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT or some such? Then you'll
never have to change the POMs that use it.

But as Baptiste points out, all of those downstream projects will sacrifice
build reproducibility. Imagine that you accidentally introduce a bug into
your build plugin which starts failing the build erroneously. Then
suddenly, projects which use that plugin might have failing builds with no
code changes. Release tags that built yesterday will no longer build. Not a
good situation!

Regards,
Curtis

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi,
This is not possible with maven by design. It has to do with the "build
reproducibility" thing you'll often read here.

I think there were a recent thread about that very question, also have a
look at it if you will.

Cheers