Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Oliver Flege <o....@market-maker.de> on 2002/10/14 09:53:21 UTC

Logging still broken in nightly release 2002-10-13

Hi,

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-10-13/
> Can those that had logging concerns please test this one..

Logging is still broken, everything is logged using the default category.

I started phoenix with the -d option and got some debug log messages
telling me that the environment.xml is parsed correctly:
DEBUG   2002-10-14 09:34:35.108 [Phoenix.] (): added logger for category foo

but the log file does not contain any messages indicating the logger for the
respective category is ever returned ("Logger for category foo returned"),
which it should if everything would work correctly.

Best Regards,

 Oliver Flege

Re: Logging still broken in nightly release 2002-10-13

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:58, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > That would be great. Another option may to create a testcase (in HEAD).
> > You can see the testcases in
> > src/test/org/apache/avalon/phoenix/components/logger/test
> > Just create a new xml file that fails and I will fix it and backport it
> > to the released version.
>
> I'm not sure what a "xml file that fails" means. The examples look like
> excerpts from a sample environment.xml file.

essentially.

> Does this mean I put the
> relevant sections of my environment.xml file there?

If you can get a snippet that fails. The unit test expects two files to be
output. One for myBlock category and one for default category (look at xml
files for specifics).

> But how could you
> test it without the rest of my app?

Maybe you can't. I am not sure ;) If it is easier to produce a sample app that
fails then do that and I will add some junit test cases to cover the
situation as soon as I figure it out ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Logging still broken in nightly release 2002-10-13

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> That would be great. Another option may to create a testcase (in HEAD). You
> can see the testcases in
> src/test/org/apache/avalon/phoenix/components/logger/test
> Just create a new xml file that fails and I will fix it and backport it to the
> released version.

I'm not sure what a "xml file that fails" means. The examples look like
excerpts from a sample environment.xml file. Does this mean I put the
relevant sections of my environment.xml file there? But how could you
test it without the rest of my app?

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Logging still broken in nightly release 2002-10-13

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:32, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>
>>>If that still does not help then can you send me an example which fails
>>>(especially the environment.xml).
>>
>>Find the environment.xml attached.
>

> So you have a block named "eqlwatcher" and when it logs those logs do not log
> to ${app.home}/logs/eqlwatcher ?

Yes, exactly. It does work with an older Phoenix version (shortly pre
4.0). I couldn't include the whole app, because some of it is
classified. If you need a complete example app, I'll write one for you.

The stuff that gets logged from the eqlwatcher block is not lost, it
just ends up in the avalon* logfile.

Ulrich

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> I can't reproduce the problem. Can you download
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/~donaldp/avalon-demo.sar.zip

This one works fine.

> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-10-13/

With that Phoenix. Only my SARs don't work.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter

>okay. Fixed it. It seems I forgot to backport the fixes from HEAD to the
>RELEASE_402-branch, it should be fixed now. Next time builds a drop the
>problems should have disapeared.

OK, This is likely to be my fault. I made an attempt to port changes
from head to 402, but it must have been incomplete.

I'll upload a new version tonight.

- Paul

Re: Logging still broken in nightly release 2002-10-13

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:38, Oliver Flege wrote:
> Hi,

right. My brain was temporarily addled ;)

Posted by Oliver Flege <o....@market-maker.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:53, Oliver Flege wrote:
> Hi,

rename it to avalon-demo.sar and place it in $PHOENIX_HOME/apps and then
startup phoenix. You should see two log files created avalon-demo.log and
thread-manager.log and both should have content in them. (thread-manager.log
has all the logs for thread-manager block and avalon-demo.log has all the
rest).

If you don't have this can you make sure you downloaded the archive from

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon-phoenix/nightly/2002-10-13/

If that still does not help then can you send me an example which fails
(especially the environment.xml).

> I started phoenix with the -d option and got some debug log messages
> telling me that the environment.xml is parsed correctly:
> DEBUG   2002-10-14 09:34:35.108 [Phoenix.] (): added logger for category
> foo

thats fine.

> but the log file does not contain any messages indicating the logger for
> the respective category is ever returned ("Logger for category foo
> returned"), which it should if everything would work correctly.

Thats also fine. Phoenix grabs the DefaultLogger and then uses that to aquire
other loggers so you will never see "Logger for category foo returned" in the
logs.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald