Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Trobridge <ch...@trobridge.org> on 2003/08/25 18:33:18 UTC

Using the Tomcat Administration Tool

I've been trying to use this to set up multiple Host entries.

I started off with Tomat V5.09 but get the following response if I click
on the existing host:

>   HTTP Status 500 - Error retrieving attribute liveDeploy

I get a similar message if I try to create a new host - just that it
fails to set the attribute.  I looked around for an answer but the best
I can find is that this (and another) attribute were renamed a few
revisions back and my guess is that the administration tool is lagging
Tomcat right now.

I then tried the latest V4.1 release (4.1.27)  and had some limited the
success.  I could get different domains directed at different
subdirectories of webapps by setting each host location to "webapps" and
the contexts "app1", "app2" etc.  However, every now and again the
administrator would place all the default contexts (admin, examples etc)
under each of my host entries...  I have no idea about why this happens
but it would let me delete all these contexts so I'd usually reinstall
at this point.

Any ideas about my host problems?

My instinct at the moment is to stick with 5.09 and ignore
administration tool, despite the temptation.

Thanks
Chris

Re: Using the Tomcat Administration Tool

Posted by Chris Trobridge <ch...@trobridge.org>.
I got up and running with V5.09.

I found a few things out:

   1. Each v. host needs its own web apps directory or else Tomcat gets
      confused.
   2. If you don't set a default v.host then unrecognised v.host names
      result in an empty (0-length) response.  If you do then you get
      the result for the default v.host.  I'm not sure what is better -
      I'd rather just give out an error page.
   3. The manager only appears to list applications on the its v.host,
      though the status includes info for all v. hosts.
   4. The administration tool has the wrong attribute names for v.hosts
      (as mentioned below).
   5. Despite what I thought I read in the docs, the context filename
      (catalina/host/xyz.xml) does have to match the webapp folder name
      in the webapps directory - at least I couldn't get it to work
      unless it did!

Chris