Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "Reza B'Far (Voice Genesis)" <re...@voicegenesis.com> on 2005/02/18 11:31:49 UTC

Why MVC instead of PAC?

Hi Folks:

I have a general question for the architects and authors of MyFaces.  Before
I state my question though, let it be known that I'm EXTREMELY appreciative
of the hard-work you folks are putting into cultivating MyFaces.  JSF is
definitely an improvement over existing stuff...

Why is it that every thing in the Java community follows MVC for SOC of
UI/Business Logic/Control?  I personally prefer PAC over MVC because of a
lot of reasons, but there are other UI patterns than PAC too.  Why is it
that everything in Java seems to be MVC based?

I personally think MVC has some massive short-comings... but that's another
discussion.  I just want to know why everything written for Java seems to
follow MVC!

I personally think that the Agent-based model of PAC would have been a lot
better fit for JSF efforts since agents more closely resemble the
component-wise approach of JSF (which is excellent).  My understanding of
the documents I've read is that JSF architecture is largely MVC based.

Reza B'Far

PS:  I have a discussion on advantages of PAC over MVC here --
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0521817331/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1/10
3-3893868-9407031?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Fwd: Why MVC instead of PAC?

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
No problem, have not taken your suggestion as critical, I just wanted
to mention that we are not the community here to change the way things
are rolling in JSF.

Apart from that: I believe that in the bigger picture, JSF is no pure
MVC implementation, and that you can even find traces of PAC in it -
in my belief, in an actual working implementation you never have the
"pure" approach....

Whatever the base of JSF, I need to say that it fulfills what it
promises for me: it is a relatively (relatively due to the still
missing tool support) fast way to build web applications and reusable
web components!

regards,

Martin

Re: Why MVC instead of PAC?