Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Malcolm Warren <ma...@villeinitalia.com> on 2009/05/30 10:54:43 UTC

jsvc and logging

Dear All,

I'd be grateful for some help with jsvc and logging.
I've spent a whole morning googling but without success so I'm turning
to the Tomcat mailing list.

My logs are all going into the syslog, which is not the best solution.
I would like to see tomcat logs in the usual tomcat /logs folder

The tomcat daemon is started like this:

               $DAEMON -user "$TOMCAT6_USER" -cp "$JSVC_CLASSPATH"
\

                    -outfile SYSLOG -errfile SYSLOG
\

                    -pidfile "$CATALINA_PID" $JAVA_OPTS
"$BOOTSTRAP_CLASS"

But if I try to change the -outfile and -errfile parameters tomcat
doesn't start and I get a message saying:
"No class specified
Cannot parse command line arguments"

I've tried every possible combination of entries for these parameters,
but to no avail.
Such as:

-outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile ./logs/catalina.err
-outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out -errfile
$CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.err
-outfile /var/lib/tomcat6/logs/catalina.out -errfile
/var/lib/tomcat6/logs/catalina.err

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Malcolm Warren

Re: jsvc and logging

Posted by Malcolm Warren <ma...@villeinitalia.com>.
Dear Hassan,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I've found my mistake - a stupid one - I forgot the trailing back slash
indicating a continuing line of the command.
And it now all seems to be working.

Thanks again,

Malcolm Warren

Re: jsvc and logging