Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by L Rutker <lr...@hotmail.com> on 2002/04/19 02:15:24 UTC

Refactoring / Rewriting of FOP? Obsolete?

Hi,
My manager just nixed the use of FOP in our project for the following
reason.
a) Its only up to 0.20.3 meaning an early beta.
b) He is under the understanding partly based on what he saw on the FOP site
that the code is being rewritten from scratch and he therefore does not want
to have us tied to an "obsolete" product.

My question is
a) How true is this?
b) How can I convince him that it is worthwhile to use it.

The product did work nicely in our testing by the way.

Lou

Re: Refactoring / Rewriting of FOP? Obsolete?

Posted by John Austin <jo...@integerservices.no-ip.com>.
On Thursday 18 April 2002 20:15, you wrote:
> Hi,
> My manager just nixed the use of FOP in our project for the following
> reason.
> a) Its only up to 0.20.3 meaning an early beta.
> b) He is under the understanding partly based on what he saw on the
> FOP site that the code is being rewritten from scratch and he
> therefore does not want to have us tied to an "obsolete" product.
>
> My question is
> a) How true is this?
> b) How can I convince him that it is worthwhile to use it.
>
> The product did work nicely in our testing by the way.

It usually pays to go along with the boss even when (s)he's wrong.
Get a price quote from Renderx.com and see if that jogs his resolve.
If he wants to spend the money, let him. It isn't like he was going to
give any savings to you.

RE: Refactoring / Rewriting of FOP? Obsolete?

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
> > My manager just nixed the use of FOP in our project for the following
> > reason.
> > a) Its only up to 0.20.3 meaning an early beta.
> > b) He is under the understanding partly based on what he saw on
> the FOP site
> > that the code is being rewritten from scratch and he therefore
> does not want
> > to have us tied to an "obsolete" product.

I think you have to explain somehow to your manager that using standard technology like xsl-fo doesn't tie you to any specific software, so you can feel free to use fop at the moment and any another formatter in the futureif you want.

---
Oleg Tkachenko,
Multiconn International, Israel

Re: Refactoring / Rewriting of FOP? Obsolete?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
> My manager just nixed the use of FOP in our project for the following
> reason.
> a) Its only up to 0.20.3 meaning an early beta.

That doesn't mean too much. A lot of poeple are using FOP in a
production environment. True, you may have to work around one or another
problem, but FOP is useful enough.

> b) He is under the understanding partly based on what he saw on the FOP site
> that the code is being rewritten from scratch and he therefore does not want
> to have us tied to an "obsolete" product.

It's correct that FOP is in redesign. But that doesn't mean it's
completely rewritten from scratch. I believe that the API will likely
stay pretty much the same, and the API really is what should concern you,
because that's what you'll work with. FOP should work as a black box for
you, so if something changes under the hood, all you have to do is test
your stylesheets when you do an update.

> My question is
> a) How true is this?
> b) How can I convince him that it is worthwhile to use it.
>
> The product did work nicely in our testing by the way.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch