Posted to dev@click.apache.org by georgex <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2010/03/29 12:18:10 UTC

HTTP GET should not change the data on the server?

I read and hear everywhere that HTTP GET should not change the data on the
server.
(Only POST, or if a RESt style is used, than POST, PUT (for update), and
DELETE).

If I run however the click-examples with FireBug, than I see that delete
operations happen with a HTTP GET :(.

thanks,
George.

Re: HTTP GET should not change the data on the server?

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, sent to wrong list.

bob

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by georgex <ge...@yahoo.com>.

One of the main reasons to have replayable GET requests is so you can cache
the content for high
access websites. If you are developing a non-public low traffic website
there is no reason to cache
the result and no reason not to take advantage of the simplicity of GET
requests.

I understand the cache vs non-cache thing, but what about Browser plug-ins
like GoogleToolbar, or other plug-ins that do (pre-)fetching or spidering?

Bob Schellink wrote:

> The Click example could be implemented with GET or POST requests, nothing
> in Click stops you from
> using one or the other.

Users usually follow the click-examples, documentation and the best
practices :).

Bob Schellink wrote:

> For example, instead of having a "delete" link, the example could be
> implemented by having a "Delete" button on the edit-customer.htm page.
> However the user now has to
> select the customer before deleting it. Alternatively the table could be
> wrapped in a Form and
> checkboxes used to select which row to delete, ala gmail.

This looks a little bit complicated. A simple link is indeed much simpler
than a button - even when considering the styling only.

Wouldn't be worth having something like SubmitLink but without the trouble
with a From object? e.g. To have a Link that allows POST functionality too?

I saw that Basecamp is doing this for their Delete operations - it's a link
on the page, but when clicked, dynamically adds a unique small Form (to have
a POST for delete - but to keep the simplicity of the link usage) - I
suppose their server translates this transparently too.

Posted by Bob Schellink <sa...@gmail.com>.