Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2010/01/18 20:59:32 UTC

javadoc errors anyone?

Hi,

Since 1/15 I see some new javadoc warnings from my automated build:

	Docs:
	  Failed with following errors. Check details in docs.txt
		  [javadoc] <mypathtotrunk>\java\drda\org\apache\derby\impl\drda\DRDAConnThread.java:7534:
warning - @param argument "elemNum" is not a parameter name.
		  [javadoc] 1 warning

	  Failed with following errors. Check details in buildZip.txt
		     [java] SANITY >>> /org/apache/derby/impl/drda/DDMWriter.class

Does anyone else see these?

This came out of a run where the updates were:
====================
r899819 | rhillegas | 2010-01-15 13:32:14 -0800 (Fri, 15 Jan 2010) | 1 line

DERBY-4491: Fix sealing violation which kills the AssertFailureTest on
runs against insane jar files.
r899733 | rhillegas | 2010-01-15 09:54:20 -0800 (Fri, 15 Jan 2010) | 1 line

DERBY-4491: Correct the network metadata for UDTs and make it possible
to pass UDT values across the network.
r899588 | dag | 2010-01-15 02:53:22 -0800 (Fri, 15 Jan 2010) | 11 lines

DERBY-4397 Allow ORDER BY in subqueries

Patch derby-4397-sortavoidance-a, which makes sort avoidance work in
the simple case of a subquery with order by on a base table which has
a suitable index. The fix avoids the result columns assumed by the
order by list from changing after they have been bound, to include a
level of VCNs, which is not correct (this happened as a side effect of
copying result columns from the subquery up to the FromSubquery node).

A new test case the verify sort avoidance in this case has been added.

r899576 | kristwaa | 2010-01-15 01:49:19 -0800 (Fri, 15 Jan 2010) | 2 lines

Removed unused method SQLChar.readCharacterLength

====================

Re: javadoc errors anyone?

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since 1/15 I see some new javadoc warnings from my automated build:
>
> 	Docs:
> 	  Failed with following errors. Check details in docs.txt
> 		  [javadoc] <mypathtotrunk>\java\drda\org\apache\derby\impl\drda\DRDAConnThread.java:7534:
> warning - @param argument "elemNum" is not a parameter name.
> 		  [javadoc] 1 warning
>
> 	  Failed with following errors. Check details in buildZip.txt
> 		     [java] SANITY >>> /org/apache/derby/impl/drda/DDMWriter.class
>
> Does anyone else see these?

Yes, for instance [1] and [2].
I tightened the rules a few weeks back, but I'll do it again since the
warnings seem to sneak in undetected:
 - new warnings: fail the build
 - more than five warnings in total (new and old/existing): fail the build

Kristian

[1] http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/Derby/job/Derby-trunk/
[2]
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/Derby/job/Derby-trunk/227/warningsResult/

[ snip ]

Re: javadoc errors anyone?

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
>      [java] SANITY >>> /org/apache/derby/impl/drda/DDMWriter.class
>      [echo]  creating new net.properties file
> That line with SANITY is not on my list of lines to be ignored, and
> so, it is new.
> It's the only occurrence of that line in my build output, and looking
> at SanityManager.java I don't understand why this would come up in the
> build output...

The times I've seen that in the past, it was because there was SanityManager
code which was not enclosed inside of "if (SanityManager.DEBUG)"

I think that Knut made a comment about something like this in DERBY-4491:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4491?focusedCommentId=12801242&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_12801242

Possibly it's related to what you're seeing?

thanks,

bryan

Re: javadoc errors anyone?

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for catching this, Myrna, and thanks for everyone else's
commentary. I introduced an assertion in DDMWriter which wasn't
protected by a SanityManager.DEBUG check. I have added that check and
the "SANITY >>>" diagnostic went away.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: javadoc errors anyone?

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.

See: http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_mail.html

--
Knut Anders

RE: javadoc errors anyone?

Posted by Sr...@cognizant.com.
Hi All,

Thanks ,
--Srinivas

>>> These look like more fallout from a large submission I committed on Friday
>>> (subversion revision 899733 for DERBY-4491). I have fixed the DRDAConnThread
>>> javadoc warning with revision 901219.
>>>
>>> I don't see the second diagnostic ("Failed with following errors") when I
>>> build the javadoc. What command are you using to build the docs?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Rick
>>>
>>> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>>>
>> I apologize - I'm using a slightly hokey homegrown utility that checks
>> on expected output of the build by checking each line against a list
>> of lines to ignore as 'ok'.
>> So that's where that line came from, not ant javadoc at all.
>>
>> This was (after doing ant -Ddeprecation=off -Dsane=false all, twice)
>> the result from
>> ant -Ddeprecation=off buildjars. The output contains this section:
>> derbynetjar:
>>      [echo] Beginning derbynet.jar insane build
>>      [echo]  creating net.list
>>      [java] SANITY >>> /org/apache/derby/impl/drda/DDMWriter.class
>>      [echo]  creating new net.properties file
>> That line with SANITY is not on my list of lines to be ignored, and
>> so, it is new.
>> It's the only occurrence of that line in my build output, and looking
>> at SanityManager.java I don't understand why this would come up in the
>> build output...
>> Any ideas?
>
> classlister.java prints this warning if insane jars contain the
> SanityManager class. One of the commits Rick mentioned above introduced
> a call to a SanityManager method in insane jars, which caused the
> SanityManager class to be included also in the insane jars, hence the
> warning. I think Rick backed out the changes that caused it. Or are you
> still seeing the warning?
>
> --
> Knut Anders

Well, yes.

I synced up to 901399 and am (still) seeing this.
Maybe you're referring to Rick's fixing a sealing violation with
revision 899819...
(http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=899819)
Maybe this is then another instance of the same?

Myrna

Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Re: javadoc errors anyone?

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.

Re: javadoc errors anyone?

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.