Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Juan Jose Costello Levien <ju...@yahoo.com.ar> on 2005/03/28 18:14:50 UTC

Cannot receive email in my james server (I can send ok)

Hi,

I have a question for you.
I installed James 2.2 inside a Slackware 10.0 box, it
is running ok, but I cannot receive mail inside my
box.

The James FAQ says that I have 2 options: to put the
mail exchange address inside my DNS (I use DynDNS and
my ISP is Fibertel - fibertel.com.ar), or use a
"strange" mail address like hello@[192.168.0.1], which
I don't like to give to my known mates.

I order to receive mail to my James POP server I
enabled the 110 system port, but that didn't solve the
situation.

I have a doubt: what is the real MX? the one that has
dyndns or fibertel.com.ar (the DNS one or the ISP
one)?

Do you know what can I do?
If you want,I could post here the config.xml file FYI.
But I don't know if it is "polite" to do it...

Thank you very much for your ideas.

Juan

Re: Cannot receive email in my james server (I can send ok)

Posted by Clive Tonge <cv...@sympatico.ca>.
Hi Juan,

We have seen this problem before. Often it is caused by your ISP
blocking port 25. Try the following:
 From your Linux machine check to see if you can telnet into James.
telnet localhost 25
You should see a message from James. If you do James is working
correctly. You will need to type
quit
to finish the session.
Now from another computer, windows or Linux, try again but substitute
your-domain-name for localhost
telnet your-domain-name 25
If you are on a computer that is part of your ISP (Say at a friends who
is using the same ISP)  this may work.
Try to ping your domain.
If that doesn't work you need to check that you IP is set correctly with
your DNS service.
If all of this works, ask someone not serviced by your ISP to telnet to
your domain.  You can send us a message here on the newsgroup with your
IP or Domain name and someone will test that for you.
If that does not work then the answer is, your ISP is blocking port 25.

If it is blocked there are some solutions available.

Good luck,
Clive