Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by peridian <ma...@robertstraughan.co.uk> on 2007/12/12 17:44:49 UTC

HttpPost through a Proxy

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I need help with HttpPost.

I can do an HttpRequest through a Proxy HttpHost, but I can't seem to figure
out how to send a Post message through a Proxy.

I thought there would be a RoutedPost or something.  Can I use the
RoutedRequest to send an HttpPost?  (seems unlikely to my mind).

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Rob.

Re: HttpPost through a Proxy

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Rob,

> I can do an HttpRequest through a Proxy HttpHost, but I can't seem to figure
> out how to send a Post message through a Proxy.

What kind of request can you do? HttpGet? HttpHead? HttpPost?
They're all requests, no matter what the method. And they're
all treated the same with respect to routing.

> I thought there would be a RoutedPost or something.  Can I use the
> RoutedRequest to send an HttpPost?

Yes, just use the HttpPost as the request.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: HttpPost through a Proxy

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 08:44 -0800, peridian wrote:
> Maybe I'm being stupid, but I need help with HttpPost.
>
> I can do an HttpRequest through a Proxy HttpHost, but I can't seem to figure
> out how to send a Post message through a Proxy.
>
> I thought there would be a RoutedPost or something.  Can I use the
> RoutedRequest to send an HttpPost?  (seems unlikely to my mind).
>
> Any help is appreciated.

You are using HttpClient 4.0-alpha2 I assume?

Try this:

===========
DefaultHttpClient  httpclient = new DefaultHttpClient();
httpclient.getCredentialsProvider().setCredentials(
        new AuthScope("localhost", 8080),
        new UsernamePasswordCredentials("user", "pw"));

HttpHost targetHost = new HttpHost("www.google.co.uk", 80);
HttpHost proxy = new HttpHost("localhost", 8080);
HttpRoute route = new HttpRoute(targetHost, null, proxy, false);

HttpGet httpget = new HttpGet("http://www.google.co.uk/");

RoutedRequest routedReq = new RoutedRequest.Impl(httpget, route);
System.out.println("executing request to " + route);

HttpResponse response = httpclient.execute(routedReq, null);
HttpEntity entity = response.getEntity();

System.out.println("----------------------------------------");
System.out.println(response.getStatusLine());
if (entity != null) {
    System.out.println("Response content length: " +
entity.getContentLength());
    System.out.println("Chunked?: " + entity.isChunked());
}
if (entity != null) {
    entity.consumeContent();
}