Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu> on 2012/02/01 14:50:59 UTC

[VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

RC for Mahout 0.6 is here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemahout-169/

Vote is open for the usual 72 hours.

(Sean was right: guess I added the -Xmx flag, ran the tests, and deleted
it before doing release:perform)

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
The artifacts look right. The distribution archives unpack correctly, and a
spot check of MD5 worked for me. The contents look right. The distro builds
and tests pass. As far as I can tell it looks correct to me. +1

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
I've run my standard benchmark test for 4.5Mx4.5M sparse matrix SSVD
in our qa cluster with this RC. seems fine. +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Feb 2, 2012, at 4:14 AM, Sean Owen wrote:

> It's available in our repo separately from the packages. Hmm, maybe nice to
> get it in the distribution package too, I don't know why it isn't. It is in
> the others, where it's not as useful. I think it's most vital to have it
> available outside the package since it is for verifying the packages
> themselves, and it is.

Yep.  In the end, if we have to put it there by hand, we can likely do so.  At any rate, I got Shannon's key.  Initial things look good, but I'm still doing some testing.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.
Ooh, I may have forgotten about the public distribution part; I thought I put it on MIT's key server but maybe not. Will check tonight.

iPhone'd

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Shannon, Others,

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

See reply inline.

> Great stuff!
>
> Do this mean that we'd want Mahout 0.6 in Bigtop 0.3.0?

That sounds reasonable.
Do you see any reason not to?

> Also, would you be willing to try and see whether we can
> pull Mahout 0.6 into hadoop-0.23 and still have the patches
> apply?

Agreed. This is on my todo list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Bruno Mahé <br...@bmahe.net> wrote:
>> On 02/03/2012 06:30 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>>> Great stuff!
>>>
>>> Do this mean that we'd want Mahout 0.6 in Bigtop 0.3.0?
>>>

>> That sounds reasonable.
>> Do you see any reason not to?
>
> My main concern is stability. And I'm not talking rock solid here,
> but rather a stream of patch release that could follow 0.6. The
> trouble is -- Mahout is one of the few projects into which I have
> absolutely no insight into :-(
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

A cursory test (ie. running examples) worked for me.
But let's run the tests we have. That's what they are for :)

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Great stuff!

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
examples/bin/asf-examples.sh failes in bayes classification: choose 3,
then 1. It defaults to mapreduce but does not set 'mapRedOutputDir',
whatever that is.

My apologies for my mis-created patch for making bayes classification
work. I missed that Bayes uses sparse encoding and SGD uses hash
encoding- this is why the script had terrible results.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
I'm still chewing on the asf-examples.sh problem, but that is
technically ok: the examples and other ancillary files are not
packaged with artifacts. You have to do a full checkout to play with
them anyway. There is only a problem if some does a full checkout at
the 0.6 tag

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Feb 6, 2012, at 11:45 AM, Sean Owen wrote:

> The release is already built, voted, pushed out. If anything we'd be
> contemplating a "1.6.1" release, but this hardly sounds like a major issue.
> I believe you proceed.

+1.

> If all the artifacts are in place, make sure the web site is updated, send
> the announcements to user@ and dev@, close out old issues in JIRA, etc --
> just the last bits documented on the wiki.

I don't recall seeing the release announcement, did I miss that?

> Then we can all look at open issues again. On the one hand, the bad news is
> we have a bigger backlog than ever; there are clearly still problems
> getting worse there. But, a lot are easy to fix.

yeah, we need to get cranking on next stuff.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
I don't know what the "Bamboo" message is about; I've never seen that.
Is it successfully "released"?

I made you a project admin on JIRA.

Re: [VOTE] Release Mahout 0.6

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.