Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Deepti Sharma S <de...@ericsson.com> on 2017/02/14 10:55:29 UTC

Query: 3.5.x version as alpha

Hello Team,

We are using zookeeper version 3.4.3 which does not include the encryption. As per our technical analysis the encryption support is introduced in 3.5.0 version. However 3.5.x versions are seems not to be stable as per their naming convention as "alpha".

Can you please confirm if we can use the 3.5.x version and will have community support in these versions.

[Ericsson]<http://www.ericsson.com/>

DEEPTI SHARMA
Senior Configuration Engineer
ITIL 2011 Foundation Certified
BICP, R&D

Ericsson
3rd Floor, ASF Insignia - Block B Kings Canyon,
Gwal Pahari, Gurgaon, Haryana 122 003, India
Phone 0124-6243000
deepti.s.sharma@ericsson.com
www.ericsson.com

[http://www.ericsson.com/current_campaign]<http://www.ericsson.com/current_campaign>

Legal entity: EGI, registered office in Gwal Pahari, Haryana. This Communication is Confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer<http://www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer>

Re: Query: 3.5.x version as alpha

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 2/20/2017 2:19 AM, Deepti Sharma S wrote:
> Can anyone confirm, is there any specific reason in the naming
> convention in this release and to make it as "alpha". As per my
> understanding Alpha means its beta release and not recommended to use
> in production, however as per below mail it seems many customers using
> the alpha version, so there is no harm to use this version.

The developers have decided that the 3.5 branch is currently alpha.
This is a different designation than beta.  Here's how I interpret the
stages of public software releases, from the point of view of the
developers, but others may see them differently:

Alpha:  We've got the code finished, we think it works, now we want to
find out whether it works for other people.

Beta:  We fixed problems that brave people helped us find in the alpha
releases.  The latest build works for everyone who's tried it so far,
now we want to get it out to a wider audience that can really pound on
it and see whether it's bulletproof.

Stable: All the problems found during alpha and beta have been fixed,
the software seems to perform well under heavy usage, and now it's ready
for everyone.

Information available on this list indicates that the current plan is
that version 3.5.3 will be beta, and there is no scheduled release
date.  For 3.4.x, there was only one beta release before it changed to
stable, but there's no guarantee that history will repeat itself.  The
release version numbers did not contain the text "alpha" or "beta" for
the 3.4 releases -- that is new this time.

It looks like this project typically has a very slow release cycle.  The
3.5 branch has been in alpha for two and a half years, significantly
longer than 3.4 was in that state.  The last 3.5 release was July of
last year, and the previous release was nearly a year before that.  If
any show-stopper issues had been discovered, it is likely that there
would have been more frequent releases.    If somebody chooses to run
mission-critical systems on 3.5, they do so at their own risk ... but
the risk is probably low.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Query: 3.5.x version as alpha

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@apache.org>.
convention in this release and to make it as "alpha".
As we know, 3.5.x release contains many critical features like, dynamic
reconfig, SSL feature etc. Naturally, community would focus on
stabilization: resolving blocker bugs and freezing public APIs in an
incremental way. Starts with a series of alpha releases, so people can run
and test with, once we address all the blockers and feel comfortable with
the APIs & remaining jiras we then switch to beta. Please go through the
following link, which gives you idea about 3.5 release plans -
http://markmail.org/message/ymxliy2rrwjc2pmo

recommended to use in production, however as per below mail
to use this version.
Like I mentioned in my previous mail thread, 3.5.3 release is underway and
contains many fixes. Probably, you could try this upcoming version.
Meantime, you could setup test cluster using the latest available version
and please feel free to report issues, if any.
It looks like there are lots of people interested in seeing 3.5 stable
version, and if we get everyone to contribute more patches and code
reviews, we should be able to do it sooner. From the dev/user community
mail threads, I could see many companies are using ZooKeeper
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.5.2-alpha/ latest release and reporting
queries/improvements etc.
http://zookeeper-user.578899.n2.nabble.com/Question-on-Release-3-5-x-td7581755.html
.

Probably, other folks can share thoughts.

Thanks,
Rakesh

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Deepti,