Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Johan Kok <jk...@messianic.dyndns.org> on 2004/02/07 07:37:12 UTC

[Fwd: Re: [VOTE] Forrest adopting Alexandria?]

Dave Brondsema wrote:

>Quoting Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>:
>

>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>

>>>I think that moving it in Forrest would be beneficial both to the
>>>Alexandria code, and to Forrest.
>>>

>>+0
>>
>>My only concern is that this is pretty specific functionality of use to
>>only a certain type of site, i.e. project sites. I have no problem with
>>the functionality being there, it's just I don;t need it right now.
>>

>-1
>
>This sounds too much like maven.  http://maven.apache.org/  Maven is a build
>tool that "throws in a website for free".

It's easy for forrest to throw in different sets of 'web-sites' or just
templates of such, by adding a parameter, e.g. Forrest seed "site
template" . The big difference lies in the flexibility that forrest
could provide, not just a 'web-site for free', but the ability to have
any number of  types/kind of web-site templates. Such a 'template' could
even be a whole web-site.  With the addition of a 'pack' utility a web
template (or for that matter a site) can be placed in a jar/zip for
distribution) and be deployed in exactly the same manner as forrest
seed. A second additional seed parameter maybe to specify the target
destination/location of the seed, to enable remote deployment at an
alternate location to the current.