Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/29 00:17:46 UTC

State of 1.3 first RC

Guys,

I've been working on getting the first RC out this week and want to share
an update on the current state of the things.

 - HBASE-16951 - was found and fixed, when we don't include
hbase-archetypes in the tarball assembly
 - HBASE-16570 - optimization that caused a regression in the balancer, it
was reverted from 1.3. Once fixed that would go to 1.4 and perhaps 1.3.1.
 - HBASE-16743 - flaky TestSimpleRpcScheduler, fixed now (I ran several
cycles of 50 iterations each and all have passed).

Now, there's presently one remaining blocker - HBASE-16964, when we don't
properly handle archiving of store files after compactions (thanks Gary for
digging into that!).
See the jira for details.

Also, as a note - the above is a third major bug around compactions that we
saw on 1.3 during our testing last month (see also HBASE-16788
and HBASE-16754)..
So during the upcoming RC testing let's try to stress this area.

Until 1.3 is out let's consider branch-1.3 to be in a lockdown for new
changes. Ping me if you think there is something that I'm missing that
should go out in 1.3. Otherwise,
important but non-blocker fixes in flight would go in 1.3.1.

Stay tuned!
Mikhail

Re: State of 1.3 first RC

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Have committed HBASE-16960 today, FYI @Mikhail

Looking forward to the 1st RC (Smile)

Best Regards,
Yu

Re: State of 1.3 first RC

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Looking - thanks!
>
> -M
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another critical one for your attention sir (patch ready for commit):
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Yu
>>
>> On 31 October 2016 at 16:59, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Yu,
>> >
>> > sorry I missed that and thanks for reaching out. Let me have a look now
>> and
>> > comment on the jira.
>> >
>> > -Mikhail

>> failed to

>> > share

>> balancer,
>> > 1.3.1.
>> several

>> > don't
>> Gary

>> > that

>> new
>> that

>> > --
>> > Thanks,
>> > Michael Antonov

> Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: State of 1.3 first RC

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Looking - thanks!

-M

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another critical one for your attention sir (patch ready for commit):
>
> Best Regards,
> Yu
>
> On 31 October 2016 at 16:59, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Yu,
> >
> > sorry I missed that and thanks for reaching out. Let me have a look now
> and
> > comment on the jira.
> >
> > -Mikhail
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I think HBASE-16931 is also a critical issue (oops also in compaction
> > > area...) and should go in 1.3.0, pinged several times there but failed
> > > draw your attention boss (smile). Mind take a look? Thanks.
> > >
> > > Btw, is there any ETA for 1.3.0 yet?
> > >
> > > Best Regards,
> > > Yu

> > share

> balancer,
> > > it
> > 1.3.1.
> several

> > don't
> Gary
> > > for

> > that
> > > we

> new
> that

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: State of 1.3 first RC

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: State of 1.3 first RC

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yu,

sorry I missed that and thanks for reaching out. Let me have a look now and
comment on the jira.

-Mikhail

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think HBASE-16931 is also a critical issue (oops also in compaction
> area...) and should go in 1.3.0, pinged several times there but failed to
> draw your attention boss (smile). Mind take a look? Thanks.
>
> Btw, is there any ETA for 1.3.0 yet?
>
> Best Regards,
> Yu
>
> On 29 October 2016 at 08:17, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > I've been working on getting the first RC out this week and want to share
> > an update on the current state of the things.
> >
> >  - HBASE-16951 - was found and fixed, when we don't include
> > hbase-archetypes in the tarball assembly
> >  - HBASE-16570 - optimization that caused a regression in the balancer,
> it
> > was reverted from 1.3. Once fixed that would go to 1.4 and perhaps 1.3.1.
> >  - HBASE-16743 - flaky TestSimpleRpcScheduler, fixed now (I ran several
> > cycles of 50 iterations each and all have passed).
> >
> > Now, there's presently one remaining blocker - HBASE-16964, when we don't
> > properly handle archiving of store files after compactions (thanks Gary
> for
> > digging into that!).
> > See the jira for details.
> >
> > Also, as a note - the above is a third major bug around compactions that
> we
> > saw on 1.3 during our testing last month (see also HBASE-16788
> > and HBASE-16754)..
> > So during the upcoming RC testing let's try to stress this area.
> >
> > Until 1.3 is out let's consider branch-1.3 to be in a lockdown for new
> > changes. Ping me if you think there is something that I'm missing that
> > should go out in 1.3. Otherwise,
> > important but non-blocker fixes in flight would go in 1.3.1.
> >
> > Stay tuned!
> > Mikhail

Michael Antonov

Re: State of 1.3 first RC