Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net> on 2000/12/23 01:12:30 UTC

Re: Microperl

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Bill Moseley wrote:

> This is probably more of a Friday topic:
>
> Simon Cozens discusses "Microperl" in the current The Perl Journal.
>
> I don't build mod_rewrite into a mod_perl Apache as I like rewriting with
> mod_perl much better.  But it doesn't make much sense to go that route for
> a light-weight front-end to heavy mod_perl backend servers, of course.
>
> I don't have any experience embedding perl in things like Apache other that
> typing "perl Makefile.PL && make", but Simon's article did make me wonder.
>
> So I'm curious from you that understand this stuff better: Could a
> microperl/miniperl be embedded in Apache and end up with a reasonably
> light-weight perl enabled Apache?  I understand you would not have
> Dynaloader support, but it might be nice for simple rewriting.

it would not make much difference.  the major source of bloat is Perl's
bytecode/data structures, microperl does not make these any smaller.
still might be worth looking into as an option, but somebody would need to
tweak Makefile.micro to build a libmicroperl.a to link against.  at the
moment it only builds the microperl program.