Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2018/09/11 20:33:30 UTC

Sqlline and beeline

As you may know, Hive has its own fork of sqlline called beeline. The code bases forked about 4 years ago and combining them again is unlikely. The Hive community continues to develop Beeline; some of the features are Hive-specific, but others are bug-fixes for core functionality or generally-useful features.

As Sergey and Arina are actively seeking to improve sqlline (thanks again, by the way!) I thought that this might be a low effort/high value avenue to explore.

The first step would be to review commits to Hive's “beeline” module[1] over the last 2 or 3 years and see if there are any changes of interest.

If any Hive developers have an issue with this, please speak up. We are allowed to take Hive code under the Apache license but we don’t want to offend anyone. Any PRs we generate from this will of course mention the original author and the fact that it came from Hive.

Julian

[1] https://github.com/apache/hive/tree/master/beeline <https://github.com/apache/hive/tree/master/beeline>

Re: Sqlline and beeline

Posted by Sergey Nuyanzin <sn...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for pointing to beeline.
will have a look at it.
I would also have a look at Zeppelin as they took several classes of
sqlline.
At least I like their idea of completion for sql [1].

[1]
https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/blob/0d746fa2e2787a661db70d74035120ae3516ace3/jdbc/src/main/java/org/apache/zeppelin/jdbc/SqlCompleter.java

--
Best regards,