Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Martin Giljohann <mm...@gmx.net> on 2006/06/30 00:45:21 UTC

Subdomains and authorization (was: remove inline edit links on weblog pages?)

I have a question now which is related to the topic of having role based information on the blog templates (edit links, in-line menu) and the proposal for the new URL implementation
http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_NewUrlImplementation

The proposal says that url mapping to blogger-style subdomains like myblog.roller.tld will be possible through the RequestMapper interface. The problem I see is that although the url mapping itself should work fine, the subdomain myblog.roller.tld and the main www.roller.tld are treated as different domains, according to the servlet spec.

This means that the user's role based information are usually lost, if the user logs in at www.roller.tld and tries to access the information via the links at myblog.roller.tld  . Is there any possibility of working around this? (I tried it, but I reckon that I'm far away from keeping the sessions persistent between domains ...)

Regards
Martin

Re: Subdomains and authorization (was: remove inline edit links on weblog pages?)

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.
yes, that is a good observation Martin.  The only way to work around
that would be to setup some kind of SSO implementation and set your SSO
cookie at the roller.tld domain.  That way the cookie is available to
all hosts under that domain.

you should be able to hack something like that via Acegi, but I don't
have any details because I've never tried.

-- Allen