Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/09 14:28:30 UTC

Re: Git enable force push for master branches

Up. Any thoughts?

This could have been prevented if force-push was enabled:
https://github.com/apache/jmeter/commit/04aab12c68af8c57258c5ae905bd8b7ab0a2dd9f

Vladimir

Re: Git enable force push for master branches

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
>than to not know if it is the true history.

It is "fun" how there were lots of objections re Ant->Gradle, and there
were lots of objections re SVN->Gradle.
It looks like it is the very same thing happening again.

Can we just stop wasting time here and enable force pushes?
We can always disable it if that turns out to be bad (which I doubt).

I'm afraid you are missing the point.

Having sane history helps "regression analysis".
Currently the feature could be split into multiple commit due to "oops-here
and oops-there".
Force push would enable to combine those.

Vladimir

Re: Git enable force push for master branches

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Am 9. November 2019 15:28:30 MEZ schrieb Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>:
>Up. Any thoughts?
>
>This could have been prevented if force-push was enabled:
>https://github.com/apache/jmeter/commit/04aab12c68af8c57258c5ae905bd8b7ab0a2dd9f

I still think that it is better to have such commits in the history, than to not know if it is the true history.

So again. I am against enabling force push on master.

Felix